Monday, January 08, 2007

What time is it?

It's Oatmeal Toasting Bread time - AGAIN!!

Who knew Susan's recipe would get so much kitchen time around here!? Turns out I'm baking this stuff just about every other week... And it's so good and yet makes so much, that I enjoy giving away a loaf or so's worth to other people...usually diving a loaf into thirds or something like that and sharing with coworkers, family and friends.

Yesterday I made it and decided to have a little more creative freedom, using up the last of a carton of buttermilk in place of 1/4 of the water, 2 of the 7 cups of flour were replaced with whole wheat, and I stirred in crushed flax seed, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds.

Turned out pretty good! I made two standard loaves, and turned the remainder into four "hamburger buns" - we were having Sloppy Joes, but had to go with storebought buns since the bread dough wouldn't be done in time. I figure we'll just have the leftover Sloppy Joes on homemade buns tomorrow, and maybe tuna salad on toasted slices of the bread tonite.

PLUS I had a slice toasted, with a little butter and homegrown/homemade blackberry jelly from Vanessa at work. Sooooo good! Her's was more like jelly (from more controlled cooking!), whereas my jellies are a little more like Jell-O Jigglers (still tastes good!). Oh well - she had her experienced mom helping out, whereas I was on my own. Vanessa and her husband are becoming quite the gardeners, and from the sounds of it have a good sized chunk of land on which to do so - I'm quite jealous! She's had me loan her a stack of seed catalogs, and I've a feeling we'll continue to share gardening and food preservation notes in the future...

Here's a shot of the bread dough before splitting, followed by the two standard loaves (baked), the four buns (getting ready to go in the oven) and, just because I was snacking on them, some jalapeno dill beans I canned this fall. Mmmm good!



1 comment:

the ginger tabby said...

My oh my - you are quite the baker! How much do you charge? ;)