Monday, February 04, 2008

RIP Murphy

Picture of Murphy taken just last week

My parents had to have Murphy put to sleep this morning. On our move back to the mainland from Hawaii about 19 yrs ago we stopped to visit relatives in Kansas - someone had dropped a pregnant cat off at my Uncle Dennis' farm, and Murphy was one of the kittens. Yes, a litter of outdoor siamese kittens on a farm, where the kids would entertain themselves by dropping the kittens on sleeping dogs.

Uncle Dennis let us take one, who seemed to frown alot, on one condition - we had to let her have kittens. (This was to torture my mom, of course - he knew my brother and I thought it was way cool) So little "frown face", who later got the name Murphy, road from Kansas to Ohio on my lap, kept separate from our cat Bartley because we didn't know how he would take it (plus she hadn't been tested for any diseases yet).

If I remember correctly, Murphy had 11 kittens over 3 litters while she was still fairly young, bred with a big chunk of a Siamese cat ("Storm"). We kept one of the kittens, my parents naming her Ming, and I called her Bunny for the longest time (she was so soft, even shortly after being born!). (Which she was softer than Murphy, Ming is also considerably more dense/muscular!) Murphy had those kittens in bedroom closest, in suitcases full of new/surplus socks she was able to crawl into, etc. On one of her later litters, we'd see Murphy chasing Ming down the hallway, with Ming carrying a kitten in her mouth. Ming never had kittens, but apparently she thought she needed some of her own.

Murphy was often considered my cat, but went with mom and dad to NY when dad retired from the Air Force and I moved out to stay in Ohio. She wasn't necessarily the most playful cat, but could definitely be a lover. Especially if you were lounging in the chair closest to the fireplace. Even when we go back to visit and she didn't always seem quite "with it" in her later years, Murphy still enjoyed kneading her paws on your chest and showering you with love if you sat still long enough for her.

Mom's been saying Murphy's had a harder time of getting around lately. Her kidneys have been failing for awhile, and now her legs have begun to give way. I knew this day was coming...and I hate to say it's been a little easier thanks to the miles and the infrequency of visits. But it still tore my heart out to read the email from mom this evening saying they took Murphy in to be put to sleep this morning.

Murphy is now buried in the backyard next to Bartley.

I wonder what it's going to be like for Ming. Dad said she's been "taking care" of Murphy a lot lately - cuddling up to her more, keeping her warm, etc. Mom's email said Murphy had dropped from 6.25lbs in the fall to 3lb 11oz this morning. I know it was the right thing to do - it was probably past due...but it's still rough.

Rest in Peace Murphy...


Murphy and Emma, Thanksgiving 2007



5 comments:

Andy said...

sorry to hear - pets ARE family.

Stunned Donor said...

Isn't it nice how pets weave their way into our family narratives?

Murphy had a long and happy life.

When I was about thirteen I gifted my Mom with a pair of white kittens for her birthday and they're in the background of almost twenty years of family photographs. It was strange when they were gone.

the ginger tabby said...

My heart goes out to you and your family during this difficult time.

Dave E. said...

My sympathy to all. I hope there some solace to be found in knowing that she was a blessed kitty, indeed, and had a good, long life full of comfort and love.

Jeph said...

Thanks you guys...your kind words really mean alot.

My mom was being all avoidant of the issue, not wanting to talk on the phone last nite after I found out, etc. So what does she do? Five minutes before I went into a meeting this morning I started getting more pics from her - "Murphy, the last couple of days", etc...plus a description of driving her to the vet. Thanks...just how I needed to go to a meeting...