Saturday, January 30, 2010

The long wait...

Have you ever heard about something that you got really excited about? You knew it wasn't going to be out for a little while yet, but that's ok because when it did come out, you were gonna get your hands on that brand new shiny thing, and you were gonna LOVE IT!

Well about, oh, 23 years ago, DC Comics announced The Teen Titans: The Game graphic novel. It was going to be a special graphic novel released separately from the on-going run of the Teen Titans title, and people were really excited to hear about it. This was back when George Perez and Marv Wolfman were working on the title. I'm trying to remember if one or even both of them had stepped away from the comic for awhile, and this was going to be the return to great times! These guys had one of the most popular comics when they started it up, and it was always the first read/top of the pile when I got new comics. Time passed, the title got dull, etc etc...

And then Games was announced and things got exciting again.

Only it never happened. There were other projects to work on. I know George Perez switched over to working for Marvel for awhile. I don't know what Marv Wolfman was up to. A few times over the years there was talk about maybe it being restarted, but it just never happened.

And then, a couple weeks ago, DC made an announcement - 2010 will be the year Teen Titans: Games is finished.



Hunh. I'm not AS excited about it now. It's from a period where not all the characters were at their most interesting. And times have changed. Will a story intended for 1987 be as cool in 2010!? Are we going to get sick of Danny Chase all over again? (He's the dorky red-head kid in the trench coat).

Eh, who knows. But at a whopping 120 pages, and sporting George Perez's amaaaaaazing art, it's GOT to be good! It'll take some of the characters back to a time when I think they felt more like what I think they should be like - some of them have been changed too much over the years.

I dunno. It'll be exciting. I don't know if it'll be a great read - we'll see. But I tell ya what - the week it comes out, I'm gonna be busy reading and combing through all that great artwork! Let's hope it doesn't let me down!

No comments: