Sunday, October 05, 2014

I've made my beds...

Two beds have been readied for winter.  One bed is now permanently dedicated to blueberries, so it got amended with peat moss, cottonseed meal, greensand and more, then mulched with ramial wood chips and grass clippings.  And because I'm impatient and couldn't wait till next spring for those amendments to settle in and do their thing,I picked up two end of-season clearance plants (Brigitta and Bluecrop).  I'll pick up two more next spring - and hopefully won't have to replace either of the two already planted.

And the other bed is the garlic planted for next season.  I decided to give up keeping the different varieties separate, tossed them all together, and planted the mix.  I have to say it's a bit freeing...Now we'll just have "garlic", rather than wondering which variety is better or more hardy, making sure to save enough of each variety to plant again in the fall, etc.

Two big fall chores- done!  (Also got spring flowering bulbs planted today - I'm pooped!)

No comments: