Friday, May 29, 2015

Lavender hedge?

Thanks to pinterest, I've decided I need a lavender hedge. And when a local place was willing to sell me a flat of 18 4" pots of English lavender for $30, I decided to go for it.

As an added bonus,when I was planting them out I realized they had odd growth habits - each seemed a little lopsided. Then I realized each pot had TWO plants growing together in it.

A little gentle manhandling just turned my 18 plants into 36 plants for $30! (you know I'm tempted to go back and get more, right?!)

I decided to try a casual, wavy path around the existing plants in the new border bed I created last spring. I built the bed by layering compost, leaves, etc on top of the existing lawn, so it's sort of raised, which I hope will help with the drainage. Lavender apparently likes rich, well drained soil, but I keep seeing mention of both sand and clay for planting. I've definitely got the clay! I'm a little worried about all the leaves I've used as compost/mulch in this bed, only because I think that could make it acidic - something lavender is not supposed to like. I'll have to see if I still have a bag of lime in the garage and, if so, maybe I'll sprinkle that around the bed before some of the rain we're due to get in the next week.

Another issue is that they're supposed to like full sun, and while most of our property gets nothing but full sun, this is the area in finally developing some shade in. Not fully shaded, so maybe they'll find enough sun. (or maybe I'll have to go get another flat and try planting a second hedge - hehe)

Who knows - if even half survive and build up some size, I could have a really nice lavender hedge weaving through my hydrangea, willow, and European plum trees!

No comments: