Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Garden dinner

We had leftover yogurt/lemon marinated chicken and soft wraps from dinner the other night, and I've been itching to try using more from the garden now that things are sizing up.  I did a little digging around, found the beets were getting to almost ping pong size, took a risk and dug up some potatoes and carrots, and harvested more of the sugar snaps and snow peas.  (I admit, I was inspired after a recent episode of Mary Berry's Absolute Favorites)  I was trying to figure out how to pull it all together, when Brett suggested hummus.  Perfect!



Got two small pots of water boiling.  Into one went the potatoes - and since they were such different sizes I just started with the biggest (cut in half) and the other large ones, and then every so often would add the next smallest - surprisingly I got them all about equal tenderness even though they got added to the pot over about a 10 minute period.

Into the other pot went the beets.

When the potatoes were close to done I put in the carrots.  Pulled them out a little while later and added the pea pods.  Once they cooked for just a minute or two, I drained and separated the peas from the spuds.

I whipped up a dressing from the juice of a lemon, olive oil, a small blop of mayo, and a drizzle of honey, plus salt, pepper, and some snipped parsley and chives, then tossed the still warm potatoes in the dressing.  I loved it, but Brett felt it didn't need the mayo or honey.  He's just lucky we didn't have any dijon mustard!

The hummus was just a can of chickpeas, the juice of a lemon, some tahini, a garlic clove, salt, pepper, a couple dashes of cumin, and a drizzle of olive oil - all whizzed in the food processor with enough of the chickpea liquid to get it smooth.

Yum - what a seriously good dinner!

No comments: