Thursday, May 26, 2016

Beef and Noodles

 Brett was making dinner (Dortmunder Beer Cheese Soup from the Great Lakes Brewery web site) the other night, and accidentally opened the box of beef stock rather than chicken stock.  So then he tasked me with coming up with something to use up a quart of beef stock soon (otherwise it needed to go to the freezer).

How is it one box of stock turned into such an elaborate dinner!?  I guess that's just how I roll...because before I knew it, the very next day after work I was stopping at a small butcher on the way home to pick up a beef roast, and then while the browned beef and onions were simmering in stock, wine and herbs I was making pasta.  From scratch.




Turned out really really good - even if the final picture isn't exactly magazine worthy.  I cooked up peas as a side dish, but they worked really well stirred in, so you got some with every bite.  I DID have to add a fair amount (maybe 2 cups total, in about 1/2 cup increments) of extra water as the noodles were cooking.  Rather than have the hot stove top cranking out flames while the afternoon was soooo hot, I threw the whole Dutch oven in the oven at 350 for about 2 - 2.5 hrs.  Maybe that cooked off more of the liquid, or maybe it was going to need it anyhow.  Either way, it was good!


Here's the recipes I used - and aside from the cooking method, the only other substitution I made was using a few small pinches each of dried thyme, dried rosemary, dried oregano and dried parsley (didn't have dried marjoram - does anyone every keep this on hand?!).

No comments: