Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Bees

I was mowing the lawn this past weekend, and realized I was finally seeing more bees flying around, dipping into the clover blossoms, etc.  I'd been worried because I really hadn't seen many bees yet this year....  Now we seem to be making up for it because they're all over the place - good!!


Since I don't have a ton of blooms in the flower beds at the moment, and because they were clearly enjoying the clover (had to keep stopping and waiting for one to fly away while I was mowing), I decided to leave a small patch of blooms for them near the back of the yard....

They're not just loving the clover.  The onions are in bloom - and they looooove allium blooms.  I remove the garlic scapes, which would bloom and take energy from the developing parts underground.  You'd think you use the same plans with onions, but I don't think I've ever heard of anyone removing the onion flowers, so I don't... 


Can you imagine what honey must taste like near onion farms?!?  I bet it's pungent stuff!?

1 comment:

Sue said...

I've read that the honey picks up the taste of it's main source. I hate to think of the honey our "bee guy" gets in early spring from my borders--it's mostly salvia and to me it smells of skunk. Ugh!