Thursday, July 14, 2016

My Sister's Yarn Shop - Going out of business

The first yarn store I set foot in was My Sister's Yarn Shop out in Green...  I was a nervous, probably very sweaty, wreck - a guy in a yarn store!?  Ugh!  What?!?!

Turns out I shouldn't have been so nervous.  I was treated just like any other customer, with very friendly and helpful service.  I ended out taking a fair isle class there where I learned how to knit with two colors at the same time.  Sure, my project for the class had seriously bad tension for the stranded work (a hat should not have an hourglass shape to it!), but thanks to that class I became very comfortable with fair isle/stranded knitting!

I received an email a couple months ago announcing it was time to close up shop....the owner decided to retire, and she was going to start increasing the discount on all items in the store.  Each week the discount would go up another 10%!  Woo hoo!  Only it's a long drive out there - the main reason I don't really hit local yarn stores (none are particularly local to me!).

Brett had an MS treatment yesterday, getting his Tysabri infusion at The Oak Clinic, which is just down the street from My Sister's Yarn Shop.  Coincidentally, I needed to take some time off to get the car in the shop.  So I took the day off, got the car taken care of in the morning, then later in the afternoon I dropped Brett off for his treatment (it's about 2 hours total), ran down to the yarn store for a half hour, and then came back to hang out with Brett.

I got a mix of "fun" and "functional".  I told the lady working (the "sister" the store is named after, actually!) that I felt sort of like a vulture going in to take advantage of the sale, but that I was hoping to find some fun yarn that would be a good memory of my few times in the shop, which she thought was a fun idea.  I didn't find anything that particularly jumped out at me, but settled on some Malabrigo Rios (you can't go wrong with Malabrigo!).  I got two skeins in Volcan, which I really like, a skein in Natural (so weird buying white yarn in a fancy brand, but I really need it for contrast work sometimes!), and a purple that I figure will make a good gift project sometime.  The "functional" part of the purchase was a small bottle of Eucalan wash (running low on my two bottles, although all they had left was eucalyptus scent), and another stitch counter.  Sometimes, if you've got a lot of projects on the needles, you find you never have enough stitch counters!


No comments: