Thursday, September 18, 2014

Magic beans

The scarlet runner beans I decided to let "do their thing" a month or so ago are starting to have their bean pods dry...and this week they really started getting dry and crinkly.  I've left most still on the vines, but figured I'd grab a few to crack open and see what things are looking like on the inside.

Wow, they really do look like magic beans, don't they?  Such cool colors and patterns.  I've been joking that they're Groot seeds...

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Rooting rosemary

Let's see if we can't build up the rosemary stash...I only picked up two plants this spring, and haven't used them heavily, partly because I didn't want to run out in case I REALLY needed rosemary for something.  I know...odd logic.  Anyhow, I dug up both plants the other day, potting them up, and hoping to overwinter them indoors...and figured this was also a good time to try expanding the collection.  So I took a bunch of cuttings from both plants, stripped the leaves off the bases, and jammed them in a pot of damp soil.  This is about to get bagged up (you can see the bag under the pot) to maintain humidity and hopefully encourage rooting without the plants accidentally going through a dry spell when I forget to water them.

I've read about this method of rooting cuttings with geraniums, plus just heard mention of doing the same with rosemary on a podcast last week.  I don't know why, but some plants seem to do well with the cuttings being shoved in around the edge of the pot.  Plus this way you get to try with a bunch of cuttings in one pot, if  you lose some hey, that's alright, and then you can repot the survivors later...

Catching some rays

Went back to do the first picking of the late planting of green beans, and found this guy up in the weeds next to the back bed, sunning itself.  It looked startled, but didn't take off right away - probably more self defense in not drawing attention to itself than just a lack of concern about being found?  By the time I made it around to that dude of the bed while picking,I didn't see it.  For all I know, it could have been right next to me the whole time...  (That ought to freak out the snake-o-phobes!)
And speaking of green beans,I can't express how thrilled I am to be starting the first picking of a patch of green beans on the 16th of September, especially knowing we're supposed to get down to 44F tonight!  I don't think I've ever managed to remember to plant more seeds late enough to get a successful succession planting this late.  I have the bunnies to thank in a way - they ate what I assumed would be my last planting and so, in a panic I seeded what had just been the garlic bed, then put hoops over it and covered it. 

I think tonight is supposed to be the lowest temp in the next ten days, and it's not close to frost temps, so I'm thinking the beans will be ok for awhile yet.  Having been under row cover and fairly protected from the elements, plus the first beans set by the plants,I have to say they are almost juicy when you bite into them raw - a very nice crisp snap, but not at all woody.  Very tasty!

Monday, September 15, 2014


The goldenrod in the lot next to us sure is pretty this time of year, and the critters really like it.  I'm finding just looking at pics of it makes my nose itch!  Someone has bought the lot next to us, so sometime "soon" they should be clearing the lot and building...  while it'll be nice to not have the constant source of weed seeds, I'll miss all the lush growth...

You can't see him

They should just make cat carriers look like shipping boxes...

Saturday, September 06, 2014

Plum jelly

Made this a couple weeks first it's literally just a hot mess!

You do NOT want to touch this is sticky and will buuuuurn you before you can wash it off!

But after straining, more boiling, and adding sugar it turns into something beautiful and tasty!

Friday, September 05, 2014

Morning gourd-ies

Get it?

Took these pics a week or two ago and forgot to post.  As you can see, the morning glories and the gourds are loving the former pergola's new location in the garden!  It's kinda fun walking UNDER the gourds...

Adventure time!

Exploring down by the pond...

Thursday, September 04, 2014


I'm totally sure this is how they got their name...  ;-)


Hunh, since this bed got taken over by weeds, I hadn't really checked up on the Brussels sprouts.  Sure looks like they're making a go of it - but they better get growing fast!

Foreground and background

Pears doing their thing in the foreground (and I need to start checking these every few days to see if they're ready to fall off), and in the background...

...the raspberries are ready!