Tuesday, August 29, 2006

beans.berries.bananas

I was a bit busy with cranking stuff through the kitchen the last couple of days, and have more plans in the near future!

First I made four 1/2 pints of dill beans, adjusting the recipe slightly since I didn't have red peppers but DID have some hot peppers and jalapenos (and another recipe for the same thing I'd been given awhile back called for all jalapenos). I also upped the garlic a bit - so hopefully once these beans are done pickling or whatever it is they do, they'll have some kick!



And last nite I figured I better use up the 4 bananas that were on the verge of getting too ripe. Since the last round of banana bread I made, which I experimented with and added frozen blueberries to, went over so well at work, I figured I'd do the same thing again. Just dumped some frozen blueberries into a mix of flour and granulated sugar, stirred 'em around in the dry mix, then stirred just the dusted berries in the banana bread batter. REALLY GOOD! I figure the flour/sugar mixture is mainly to stop the berries from sinking (the same is done with chocolate chips in batters), but I added the sugar just in case the berries weren't sweet enough.

As you can see from the pics below, I made two loaves with the four bananas. Last time I only took a half loaf in to work and it was wiped out in no time. This time Brett and I each got a full loaf to take in, and both were down to just a slice or two shortly after lunch, so I guess they're a hit! :)

I've got two zucchini on the kitchen counter - I figure it's time to make more zucchini bread next, eh?


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pickled beans?? Sounds good but I've never heard of that before...

Jeph said...

Well, technically they're called dill beans...I don't remember that I mentioned that in the blog entry. They're kinda funky. Do you like that kinda hot "garden mix" or giardelli (sp?) mix, where it's usually a combination of carrot slices, cauliflower chunks, small peppers, and maybe some other stuff (small onions maybe?). It's basically that flavor, but with beans.

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes, I love that pickled mix of veggies! I'm sure I'd love your dill beans, too :)

Peter said...

So, Brenda is muscling in on the beans I covet?

The Yellow Dog Speaks said...

Oh Man!

It's after 10:30pm and I told everyone at work that I would be bringing in Banana nut bread tomorrow.

Well, I guess that won't be happening.

Jeph said...

But the nice thing about banana bread is it takes NO TIME to make.

Now that baking for 50-60 minutes (per most recipes I've seen) - that could keep you up past bed time!