Thursday, December 21, 2006

Betty and Veronica - sluts?

Peter emailed me a news article link today about the new look for Betty & Veronica (of Archie Comics fame). I'd already read about this a few days ago over at Comics Continuum and had intended to comment here - not a pretty site in design/format, but definitely informative!

Here - take a look - what do you think?


"Hi, we look kinda whorish for Archie girls!"

Ok, maaaaaybe I'm being kinda harsh here. And I can understand Archie comics maybe wanting to appeal to modern/young readers (maybe they don't have any young readers!?) by giving the girls hip, modern looks. But sorry - I don't approve. Something about the Archie universe just doesn't need this sort of change - I think part of the whole Archie thing is it's VERY traditional look. Archie isn't Archie when drawn like other modern comics. Might as well be Brenda Starr or Betty Page or something else.... (LOL Yes, I pulled those names outta my ass, and no, one of them was NOT a comic strip - it was the whole Betty thing and my years of working in a comic shop that had an adult comics/magazines room in the back... LOL)

Anyhow - back to the point - these are NOT the Betty & Veronica of the Archieverse....I say they're two girls from some alternate universe that are trying to cross over. Won't they look weird when they plainly don't fit in because their lines are all different!??! You want to see being ostracized in high school? You just wait! It'll be worse than having a new pimple for prom! (I just made that up. Honest. NEVER happened to me. NEVER!)

4 comments:

the ginger tabby said...

Hmmm...I'm partial to the old look of Betty & Veronica. These new girls just don't fit. Either that or I'm old-fashioned.

Peter said...

The new girls don't fit, but they might keep Archie alive for decades to come. Interesting article recently in the New Yorker on Bratz dolls and Barbies that all this reminds me of. Anyway, the two aren't quite so whorish as you think, Jeph. You work among undergraduates - if they're not slouching around campus in sweat clothes, they don't look too different than this.

Jeph said...

True, but how often have you shown your age and said "wow, I can't believe I can see her thong!" or "If I were her dad, I wouldn't let her go out in that!"

God I feel OLD! LOL

And, fine, dress the girls in these modern clothes - I'm totally fine with that actually - I just don't like the art style that's different. They don't seem like Archie characters anymore....

Betsy said...

The Today Show mentioned the Betty Veronica "update" the other morning. Then they showed the "updates" of Archie and Jughead. That goofy tall guy who subs for Matt (the guy I don't care for) was the photo for Archie. Matt was on vacation. Of course Meredith had Matt's photo for Jughead. [I'm not sure why the Today Show is pushing that Meredith/Matt feuding bit. I don't find it fun at all since Matt seems to get genuinely angry over it. Am I the only one to find it irritating as hell?]
I agree about the change in art style making the Archie scene look wrong. Since nobody names their kids "Archie" or "Betty" anymore (what's Jughead's real name?), they might as well just redo the whole comic and make it more like a Buffy -verse.