Saturday, September 22, 2007

Cheating at dinner

Does it count as cheating on dinner when you pick up a rotisserie chicken and premade gnocchi from the grocery store? Oh, and bagged baby spinach? There was still a lot of cooking - and it turned out great. My ONLY wish was that I'd only used one garlic clove and a little less crushed red pepper - otherwise, this dish turned out great (with some serious kick!)!


While the gnocchi water was coming to a boil I sauteed 2 minced cloved of garlic and several good shakes of crushed red pepper in olive oil. Boiled the gnocchi. Pulled the meat from one breast and one leg of the chicken apart. Chopped up rosemary, sage, parsley and basil, as well as the few leaves of swiss chard I picked. Rinsed baby spinach. Added gnocchi to garlic/pepper, letting them get just a bit scorchy. Added herbs, plus the zest of half a lemon and some black pepper. Poured in the juice from the bottom of the chicken container, added spinach and chicken, and put the lid on for a few minutes.


Just before serving, I added freshly grated parm and some grated nutmeg. Served up with steamed beans from the garden - mmmm!

3 comments:

the ginger tabby said...

Looks mighty good to me, Jeph!

Peter said...

It sounded awfully good when you e-mailed me about it, and having seen it, I'm no less envious. Looks really tasty!

Jeph said...

I'll definitely have to work with this particular combination of ingredients again soon. Funny thing is, I thought I was gonna get some fresh pasta or ravioli or something, only our local small-town Giant Eagle was VERY limited in what they had.