Monday, September 10, 2007

RIP Britney

Doh!

I have to say I really had a lot of hope that Britney was going to make her big comeback last night at the MTV VMAs. Granted, I didn't even know she was going to be performing, nor that they were even on, until very last minute (Brett clued me in). But I'd been talking with Dave and Cindy about how she was supposed to be releasing a new song, getting ready to make her comeback, etc... I had faith. I thought she could do it. I thought, hey, she's had her break, she's entitled to some real screw ups and goofing around and all that - it's not like she had a normal childhood/teen years, and so she's just been a little off.

But she'll come back. She can do it.

Dude, she biffed it. BIG TIME!

I'm all for women getting to have "more normal" bodies, and not trying to look like emaciated supermodels, but if you're going to prance around on stage wearing next to nothing at all, and try to be all seductive about it, don't be sporting a little muffin-top flab... In most situations, her body is absolutely fine. I'm sure many women would want to be in her shape. But then again, most women aren't gyrating around in front of millions wearing a tiny, sparkly set of underwear.

"Gyrating." If that's what it can be called. She looked like she didn't care. Or like she was confused. Maybe she'd forgotten what performing was all about? She didn't lipsync well - at times she almost seemed to be laughing at herself a little, or confused about all the people watching her. It sort of made me think she was just suddenly realizing this wasn't for her anymore...

Whether or not she WANTS to come back....I'm not sure she'll get another opportunity. Brett said there was talk that maybe MTV let her do this just to make a fool out of herself. If that was the case - success. She really bombed up there...and it may have been the straw that broke the camel's back for her career.

For more on Britney's attempt to revitalize her career, read "A Bleary Britney Kicks Off MTV Awards".

2 comments:

Sharon Edwards/Holderman said...

So Andy and I watched a youtube video of this - and yeah. She got totally outdanced by her dancers! It was like she was dancing with a sore neck or headache to where she couldn't move much or something weird. And you know I'm ALL ABOUT stars being normal-bodied. But then you should dress for it - she should have worn a mini-skirt and a sexy tank or something. Hide the pooch but still show some skin. I know about dressing to hide the pooch ;)

Anonymous said...

Along with looking stiff and also stumbling/wobbling, she looked like she absolutely didn't care about being on stage...totally nonchalant!!! I wonder if she wasn't on some major downers? Break those Klonopins in HALF, Brit...that's why they're scored!

And yeah, that outfit did NOTHING for her. Did she fire her stylists, too? Or was that a hang-over-induced "hang-over"?