Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Planting seed

There's four petunias in the following picture:


Maybe they're a little hard to see, eh? That's just 'cause they're not in bloom yet. Give it time, give it time...

Here it is, mid-February, and it's time to get ready for spring and summer!! YAY! SEEEEEEDS!

Brett picked up a folding table for me, and I assembled the plastic shelving, plus set up the 'picnic table' that is part of the trunk area of the Honda CR-V. Tidied up a bunch of last year's seed starting stuff, got organized, wet down some soilless seed starting mix, alphabetized all the seed packs (some dating back to 2004! I'm not holding my breath on those), and finally got my hands in the (non-)dirt!

Here's one side of the basement, with my planting area, the plants we got from Saturday's gardening symposium, and the "potting shed" sign mom gave me some time back.


The opposite side of that part of the basement. I'm definitely going to need to get more lights. And maybe another heat mat or two? (And I wonder how soon the feds will be knocking on our door, asking if I'm growing marijuana!)


Some of the seeds I've been working with are SOOOO small! These are nemesia seeds...something I've never grown from scratch, but they're too expensive to get each year as individual plants if I can grow my own!


I need to think about starting eggplants, peppers and tomatoes real soon, not to mention more annuals and perennials. Hm, should also consider starting lettuce maybe?

As always, Simon the Ruiner wants to be involved!


And anytime you're doing anything in the basement, there's always got to be some supervision (aside from Simon the Ruiner being directly involved):


I didn't touch these photos up at all! Tucker's eyes are just real creepy with the flash.


Spoooooky!




Tucker also gets real playful on the steps - so that's about the only exercise we can convince him to try.

No comments: