Thursday, April 24, 2008

What the hell are you up to now, Remley!?

At least that what I figure most are thinking when they see this picture...


I blame it partly on Martha Stewart, and partly on Organic Gardening magazine (or was it Mother Earth News?). Both said you should soak pea seeds for about 24 hours before planting, and the magazine even suggested adding Vitamin C to the soaking water for an added boost to your plants.

Welllll....I don't know how the pea seeds feel about orange-flavored vitamins, nor do I know if these suggestions apply to sweet peas (you know - blooming, smell pretty, not for eating?) and sugar snaps...'cause that's what you see above. I made certain to VERY CLEARLY mark the sugar snaps (edible) on the left side, but then it turns out there were so many more seeds, and they swelled A LOT...had to keep topping off their water!

Behind the tray of every small drinking-glass-and-coffee-mug-we-own are the blue potatoes and Russian Banana fingerlings I'm trying to sprout. The fingerlings are doing great, but the blues show no signs of sprouting yet.

Here's close-ups of the peas. They're soaking in it!



Oh! And after Brett installed some our blinds recently, and had to thin out some rows on each set, I got handy new plant markers! ;-)

1 comment:

the ginger tabby said...

Reduce, Re-use, Recycle...good use of the blinds, Jeph!