Thursday, July 17, 2008

Cucumbers, Beets, Turnips and Peaches - Oh My!

In addition to zucchini and patty pans, here's some of what I've pulled from the garden in the last few days:


Those pickling cucumbers are just some of the 2 lbs 7 oz of pickling cukes I've picked in THREE days. There's plenty more developing - I'm gonna be in trouble real soon, and need to start pickling!

This was my first time growing turnips, and I bought the starts from WalMart. I think maybe I left them in the ground a little too long as there were some fibrous/woody parts throughout the root. Still, they were good peeled, cubed, boiled briefly in water, drained, and then boiled in chicken broth, cayenne pepper, honey, salt, and pepper. Sounds like an odd combination, but tasty!

And I just don't have much luck with beets - the biggest problem is probably that I don't thin them enough. Most stay small, or they start to get big and I leave them too long, so they get tough. These were good roasted, although the smallest took a half hour, and the biggest took an hour and a half!

It's amazing how sweet and flavorful beets are, simply roasted wrapped in foil after being rubbed with oil.


This picture turned out a bit out of focus - but I was so eager to try it you'll notice I didn't go back and get a better picture! ;-) It was called upside-down peach shortcake, or something to that effect... I'd say it was more like a peach cobbler. Whatever the name, the taste was gooood! I'll be taking some of it in to work tomorrow to share with the coworkers.


I picked up a bunch of peaches at the grocery store this afternoon, peeled and sliced them, and added them to a pot with sugar, cinnamon, cornstarch, and I forget what else. That was boiled a short bit - the juices came out and thickened up with the cornstarch. I stirred in a handful of blueberries I had just picked out back, and then topped it with a "biscuit" mixture (it was more wet like a batter if you ask me). The topping recipe included flour, sugar, butter, baking powder, baking soda and a cup of yogurt. It said you were to make the biscuit topping, THEN proceed with the peach prep, and then come back to put the topping on. I think next time I would make the topping last minute - the yogurt, baking powder and baking soda interacted so fast that they inflated and then deflated as I was putting it on the peaches to bake. Sure did TASTE good though - especially with a bit of heavy cream poured on top.

2 comments:

Peter said...

The abundant harvest is well underway, and I'm going to be utterly jealous of all the cooking fun you'll be having in weeks ahead.

Jeph said...

You had your chance - you chose Hawaii over us! Now my folks are going to come the weekend after the weekend you guys were going to come.

I'm sure there'll still be plenty of good stuff if you can make it in September. I'm actually contemplating starting up some NEW squash plants now - to replace the ones that could burn out by then. I really want to be good about succession planting.