Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I have an owie

Racquetball didn't go so well Sunday morning...


It was the first chance Carolyn and I had to play in months, and the first game was going GREAT, with me maintaining at least a two point lead until the very end. At 11 to 9 pts she suddenly took charge of the game and kicked my butt. GREAT game, very intense. So for the second game I really wanted to redeem myself...

At about 8 to 6pts (my lead), I did something odd to my back - not sure what, reached out to swing the racquet and something "zinged" in my back. Ow. Took a few minutes, and thought things were ok. I served the next ball, she returned it, I ran for it and totally rolled my ankle - basically turning my left foot inward at a 90 degree angle.

OOOOOOWWWW!!

Oh man it hurt so bad - dropped me right to the floor. I don't even remember for certain, it all happened so fast, but I might've even ran into the wall at that point? Anyhow...I was able to move my foot, finally got up, walked it off, stretched a bit, and thought I could play some more if I just took it easy. What I wasn't paying attention to was my back - that fall probably worsened whatever I'd done with the first little injurty.

I served again, and just in running to the opposite side of the court, was finished for the day. My back seized up and all I could do was lean all my weight into the wall to stand up - even breathing hurt like hell.

We tried walking me around outside the court, and then maybe six laps around the track, but it hurt so bad. I probably shouldn't have driven home actually - would've been smarter to have Brett come get me.

That picture above is how I spent most of the rest of the day, popping ibuprofen like they were candy. Brett wanted to take me to the hospital, but I wanted to just hold out to go to our usual Dr Monday morning. She said I'd sprained the ankle, nothing was broken, and that yeah, it might not hurt to go see my chiropractor. Saw the chiro yesterday morning and he couldn't even get everything adjusted in one visit - my muscles were so tight and locked up around the subluxated rib, even after electric stim and ultrasound, that he had me come back in again today. He THINKS he got it all taken care of today, but wants me back in on Friday if it seems like things aren't improving. Yay fun.

In the meantime I've been popping prescript-level ibuprofen and vicodin, which knocks me out... The ankle's wrapped in a brace, and I have to be VERY careful going up and down the stairs. I'll go back to work tomorrow - shouldn't be too dangerous just SITTING THERE.

In the meantime, a guy's still gotta eat, and the cooking makes me feel better. So today for lunch, after the chiro (and before the vicodin knocked me out for a few hours), I whipped up what I called "Super Veg and Super Fruit" (in my mental menu) (you do that too, riiiiight?).

Super Veg: The sandwich - the first three tiny tomatoes from the garden, sliced; a zucchini, sliced, oiled and grilled; slices of fresh mozzarella; basil from the garden; and a couple slices of crispy bacon, all tucked into a slice of sesame semolina bread from Panera and grilled. Mmmm!


Super Fruit: The Smoothie - the remaining blueberries picked from the other day; a couple slices of watermelon removed from the rind; a banana, sliced; a small container of strawberry yogurt; strawberry protein powder; 6 ice cubes; a glug of milk - all immersion blended, and oh so tasty!


And still bummed about no s'mores the night Sharon and Andy came over, I made some over the gas top of the stove... One of the three is made with toasted-coconut-covered marshmallows! MMM - pretty good!


And while I'm out of commission, and Brett (and Sharon, and mom, and...) keeps lecturing to remind me I'm supposed to take it easy. So Brett's been handling some of the stuff I usually do, like cooking, dishes, and even replacing the bird seed! Thanks honey!

11 comments:

the ginger tabby said...

I hope you feel better really soon!

Your injuries put my sore/tight neck in perspective.

Jeph said...

What did YOU do!?

Seems to be going around! My cousin was having lots of stomach pains last week and finally his wife called to have an ambulance come get him when he was in the fetal position. She also called my aunt at 2:30am to come take care of their children. The call started my aunt and she fell out of the bed on her head, and while x-rays show nothing was broken, she's been having muscle spasms and pains ever since from what I gather! Oh, and my cousin needed to have his gallbladder removed!

AND my parents' neighbor had to have her gallbladder removed just recently as well!

Seems to be some bad luck medical stuff these days!

Dave E. said...

No kidding! We had two coworkers become softball casualties Monday evening, both victims of line drives, one to the chest and one to the noggin! Is there a bad moon rising?

Peter said...

The food looks really super, Jeph. Trust you to be banged up and still cobble together some good vittles!

Andy said...

send Brett to Wegmans (do you have them there?) and have him get you an 8 pack of CherryPharm or visit the site and order some.
Drink an 8oz bottle every day - it's got a TON of science behind it showing both the pain relief effects and the mussel damage / repair effects - all science driven.
Best of all - you can actually order it online from the site and get it shipped to you.
And before you complain about the price - consider this - it's 50 fresh tart cherries in a bottle - I dare you to go into the grocery store and pick up 50 cherries for the price of a bottle!
Plus - it's all natural and is 2 USDA fruit and veggie servings.

the ginger tabby said...

My stuff is nothing major, just a pain in the neck - literally! I must have slept wrongly on it. I'm cat-sitting for a colleague and I don't have my own pillow so I *think* that's the cause of my troubles. I will pick up my own pillow tonight. It's amazing how something so minor can cause such discomfort almost every minute of every day. It's been going on for four days now.

Hope you're feeling better, Jeph. I'm sending you healing thoughts.

By the way, I'm still looking out for the orange chocolate sticks. No luck yet!

FinnyKnits said...

I'm sorry you fell down and went boom :(

Although I'm extra impressed that in your boom state you managed to make the most delicious looking sandwich I've seen in ages.

I will be replicating that shortly, since I need to eat this zucchini and now I really NEED some mozzarella.

Jeph said...

I made a similar sandwich last nite, but used leftover sliced grilled chicken, which was pretty good on it. Did the same thing with grilled zucchini, basil leaves, and the last little bit of fresh mozz. Fresh mozzarella is soooo good on something like this! I bet a smoked gouda would be as well?

We don't have any ripe tomatoes - the sandwich really felt lacking without that juicy moistness.

If I'd planned ahead I would've grilled up slices of red bell peppers (from the grocery store).

And DO NOT forget the bacon - everything tastes better with bacon!

Jeph said...

Tabby -

I'm totally with you on the pillow situation! I've got three or four pillows of various thickness and sponginess I rotate through, sometimes all in one night.

And yesterday I found out from Heather at Wiggly Wigglers (http://www.wigglywigglers.co.uk/) that what I'm REALLY remembering are orange Matchmakers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matchmakers)!! DOH!! However, I will still most definitely try orange Rademaker sticks should anyone ever get their hands on some for me - I don't see how they can be all that different.

And for what it's worth, I HAVE found a place online from which I was able to order some Orange Matchmakers.

AND I've got a case each of the cappuccino and the plain dark choc Rademakers on order! ;-)

Jeph said...

Andy - I'll CONSIDER ordering some online, but I figure I'll first get some at Wegman's when we're up your way next weekend.

the ginger tabby said...

Glad you found some orange sticks/matchmakers! I'm still on the lookout though for the rademaker ones. I'll find them yet! ;)