Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Jellyhead

What does this look like to you?


I see a heart in it, don't you?

It's actually eight cups of strawberries, hulled and mashed down to five cups, and then cooked for awhile with sugar (SEVEN cups worth!) and pectin. (I think next time I'll consider reducing the sugar?) This picture was taken while the jam was still boiling, but before it was skimmed...so it's still kind of sludgy looking on top.

And here's the final product...


I should be all set for the next year or two! YUM! I tell ya, I was sort of wishing we had some vanilla ice cream to pour some of this on.

3 comments:

the ginger tabby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
the ginger tabby said...

Wow, Jeph!! I wonder if the jam, pickles, and salsa taste as good as they look ;)

Jeph said...

Unfortunately - I STILL haven't made the plum and peach jellies! I've had those fruits for, what, two weeks now? They sat out hard as rocks for a few days, and then I knew I wouldn't have time to work on them midweek, so I stuck 'em in the fridge. Well they're certainly not ripening very fast in there! Since I'm taking Friday off, maybe I should take them out of the fridge today and see if they ripen up some by the weekend? Heck - I don't know, maybe I don't need them soft/squishy/ripe for jellies and jams?