Monday, December 22, 2008

Finished at last!!

Too quote Finny on a similar subject, check out these gams...


Ok, maybe it's less about checking out my sexy legs (ha!), and is more about taking in all the wonder that is a project I've FINALLY completed. These are the "it's takes a year to knit a pair of socks" socks, and yes, I admit it, they're misshapen, oversized and ugly.


But to be honest, I was aiming for oversized since I wanted to make something that would replace a pair of YEAAAARS-old oversized storebought socks, which were great for wearing OVER other socks around the house during the chill of winter. And that's exactly what I'm doing with these! I'm wearing them over other socks, and they're keeping me super toasty.


Plus you have to admit two things:

  1. They're more exciting than just a single, solid-colored sock (and nothing against that for anyone else who makes those - I just wanted these to be a bit over-the-top).
  2. They're kinda cool with the toe- and heel-patches PLUS the rings around the calf. I didn't find any sort of pattern to do this - I just did it.
So, sure, they're seriously big, and that causes them to have odd ripples and bulges in the "fabric", but maybe they'll shrink if washed (should I wash them with that in mind!?), and even if they don't, *I* like them! Plus I made 'em myself! How cool is that!?

4 comments:

FinnyKnits said...

Give yourself some credit - they're awesome!

I love the two tones and the stripes. Very bold for Socks #1. And I think the bulgy rippliness (totally words) was by design - right? Seeing as you're wearing them over other socks.

See, I can justify most knitting gaffes. ;) Nice work, fancy gams!

Jeph said...

Me, my gams and my monster socks thank you!

I like "bulgy rippliness" - it sounds like something you'd read in an LL Bean catalog to describe something you know you just need to keep you warm and festive through winter.

Hm, now that those are done, I have nothing else on the knitting agenda. Aside from a cabled sweater. Ha!

the ginger tabby said...

It's REALLY cool, Jeph! I started to knit a scarf a few years ago and my tension was ridiculous so I stopped. I will get back into knitting - I like the idea of it - but right now, I'm into card-making. One craft at a time. Oh, and you'll be proud of me (and Peter will, too)...I baked cookies for the first time in a year!! :)

Jeph said...

"tension was ridiculous" - meaning in your shoulders, or in your knitting? LOL I had to really learn to loosen up from my initial attempts at knitting...couldn't fit the needle through the holes!

Seems card making is all the rage these days - and people make some really cool stuff with it. I should take a picture of the card Sharon made for us for Christmas...