Tuesday, December 23, 2008

New project for Christmas Eve Feast - pt 2

...or "I have fungi in my kitchen!"


The meringue mushrooms have turned out GREAT! I might've tried going over-the-top a little (big surprise there) with connecting the two. The recipe I was using for this particular batch just said to smear melted chocolate on the bottom of the caps with an offset spatula and stick the bottoms on. H'yeah, right....


Knowing REAL mushrooms actually have noticeable "gills" around the underside of their caps, and wanting something easier to work with than just melted chocolate, I came up with a bit of a thick ganache of semi-sweet chocolate and cream, to which I added a little hazelnut chocolate and cappuccino liqueurs. I then filled a pastry bag with a small star tip with the goods, and hollowed out the underside of each cap (fork tines were much better than a knife, which broke three caps), filled with the rippled ganache, and then inserted the stalk. (Nothing sexual sounding here - please move on!)


Oh, and because I was concerned that just solid brown gills might not be earthy enough in appearance, I actually tried having some melted white chocolate stirred into the mix, leaving streaks here and there. Worked GREAT until the first piping bag's worth firmed up and blew out the side of the bag (I hate when that happens!), so I had to re-heat all the chocolate and mix it together. Oh well - I think they look great! Oh, and an accidental bonus - all the hollowed-out meringue powder looked cool sprinkled on top of the mushrooms (which already have a dusting of cocoa).


These are mushrooms I bet even PETER would eat!

Tuesday afternoon I make the roulade - no pressure or anything!

9 comments:

Andy said...

Christmas Jeph... not New Years... although you are welcome back then too!

Again - I refuse to tell you I'm either excited about your log... or interested in seeing your log... just not gonna be baited into any dialogue about your log.

Jeph said...

LOL Oops - thanks, I've made the correction!

Well if you don't want me to bring my log... ;-)

Sharon Andy Holderman said...

OMG those mushrooms look AWESOME!!! Who cares about the log - the mushrooms make it pretty ;)

Peter said...

Hey, I eat mushrooms! Only the expensive ones, though.

Yours do look good, I admit.

No comment on your log, but I'm surprised you didn't mention it in conjunction with your BIG socks from the earlier post.

Jeph said...

Thanks!!

Let's just hope the log turns out good - I don't know that the mushrooms are cool enough on their own to carry an ugly log.

Jeph said...

ROFL! Nice one Peter!!

the ginger tabby said...

Wow - such cool-looking mushrooms!

FinnyKnits said...

WOW! Those look cool!

Perhaps I missed something, but why are you making candy mushrooms?

Are they *funny* mushrooms? That might make more sense.

:0)

Jeph said...

They go with the Yule Log I'm taking with us to a Christmas Eve feast at Bluebird Meadow Farms tomorrow nite...

http://www.bluebirdmeadowfarms.com/

Keep checking back for more on this bakery project!