Friday, January 23, 2009

It's Electric...Boogie Oogie Oogie

So I recently posted about my adventures in electrical work while preparing the "greenhouse" or "potting shed" area of the basement (yes, the electrical work is done down there; no, the planting area isn't finished yet), plus I installed a dimmer switch in the dining room while on Christmas break. Brett threw out a comment/joke, saying if I was getting so good at all of this, maybe I should consider putting the lights above the fireplace on a dimmer switch as well.

Sure! I can do that! Bring it on!

And so begins the little "electrical bonus project" that resulted in what must've been four or five trips to Lowes - which shows you should really be better organized, it helps to make lists and draw diagrams, and you shouldn't get so cocky that you think you can just pick up whatever you need while at the store when you're really there with a list for a different project. 'Cause y'know what? You're gonna get the wrong stuff! Or not enough stuff. Or both!

One must remember that SOME switches are 3-ways (I never get that - there's TWO light switches for one light, so why are we calling it a 3-way?!). One must also remember what items are NOT 3-ways and just need a single-pole switch. And one shouldn't reverse those two while shopping.

Annnnyhow...once I finally had all my shit together, it was time to get started. I'd already removed the screws from the faceplate before deciding I should take pictures - maybe for the blog, and definitely in case I needed help remembering what went where!



You'll notice the pre-existing ceiling fan control, which was the only thing not being changed here, doesn't actually match the color of anything else involved. Alright, no big deal...it's never bothered us before.

And now that the face plates off...I'm thinking there's still time to turn back. I can stop this now and not start fiddling with all the wires I'm sure to find.


Once all the switches were removed I realized there was definitely no going back now. I paid very close attention to what went where. I also realized the builders/electricians were VERY frugal in the spare wire they left behind the switches, which I had to cut from the switches rather than just unscrew, so that shortened everything a bit. Oh well... No biggie, right?


Theeeeere we go - things are looking better. You'll notice I changed the type of the light switches. This was one of the "I'm gonna have to go back to the store" type things because there was no finding a face plate that matched what I was going to need otherwise, and we didn't want one of those piecemeal/Geranimal faceplates, where you stick together each component to meet your needs. I'm finding I actually like this flatter style of light switch!


And, voila! All done! I still need to master getting all my switches to line up perfectly with their slots in the faceplate the first time, rather than having to keep removing the faceplate to adjust, but that's not a major problem.


Now, you'll notice the ceiling fan switch looks out of place still. Different style - not a big deal. Different color (we're talking almond vs ivory) - and we've been fine with it all along. Then I looked over at a different light switch in the foyer - it matches this color. Then I looked down at the outlet beneath the light switch - and it's the same color as the ceiling fan switch here. As was another outlet around the corner. And another across the room. Waaaaitasec! It turns out this light switch panel, and the one in the foyer, are the ONLY "almond" ones!! Everything else is "ivory"! Aw crap!!

Well I'll be damned if I'm returning all this stuff and changing it now! Maybe later... Seriously - I don't think you'd notice it if you came over! (I hope!)

In addition to this bonus project, we came up with some other home improvement stuff. The recent low temps is helping us realize where our home could maybe have some improved seals - around windows, wall outlets, etc. Sure, it's a new house (built about 3 years ago), but it could still have some minor improvements. Some of our big windows do get a slight chilly breeze around them when it's super cold outside, so Brett's rocked out with his caulk out, and been sealing some of those minor seam gaps. Trust me - during nicer weather, you wouldn't even know! (And unfortunately, there was a ban placed on me taking pictures of him doing this project)

Meanwhile, I'd read an article about stopping any air leakage around exterior wall outlets, so for just $2 I picked up a six-pack of these little guys...


You just pop out the perforated parts, and put them behind the faceplates of outlets and light switches where you notice a breeze. It's not like we're feeling any breezes coming from our outlets, but for such an inexpensive investment, it certainly can't hurt to make this minor home improvement.


We've only done six outlets so far, and are going to see if we notice a difference. I think I couldn't sixteen total outlets and switches on exterior walls, so I'm sure we'll be completing the rest of them shortly...

No comments: