Monday, September 14, 2009

Eeeee-eeevil Woman

The song "Evil Woman" by ELO (Electric Light Orchestra) came to mind after I had a recent visitor. I'd just gotten home from work, gone to get the mail, was walking back up the driveway when something "big" came flying in my direction from the weeds in the undeveloped lot across the street. It settled down on the driveway right next to me - was I under attack? ...being flirted with? ...just being studied? Whatever the case, while bugs are usually more intriguing than creepy to me, this one was giving me the willies!

As I got closer to the praying mantis, she (I'm guessing it was a she) was clearly watching me and keeping her front legs up on display.... I scooped her up with the mail I had in hand, and took her around to the back deck - might as well put her to work if she's going to be on my property and act so forward about it! Preying mantids are supposed to be excellent predators, and I'm sure I've got some pests she'd like to snack on.


I first set her on some potted plants and she quickly made her way up the gazebo support to hang out upside down. Sorry, but I couldn't have that - since she WAS so interested in approaching me, I didn't want her dropping down on me....


I moved her over to the pineapple sage, where she roamed around a bit, occasionally posing to strike a pose. After awhile she wander off into the lilacs....and I haven't seen her since. Hopefully over time I'll get a good population of mantids established in the yard....I'd be happy to have the help!


"C'mere....I'm gonna eat your head off!"

1 comment:

FinnyKnits said...

That is one hot looking bug!

Is it weird that I thought a bug was hot?

She is wearing a dress after all.