Friday, October 02, 2009

The one and only!

What's the bestest tasting thing in the whole wide world!?


It would be this - the One and Only Perfect Asian Pear to come off my tree this year! (Notice how I'm trying to make my hand look small and lady-like so that the slightly-smaller-than-grocery-store-Asian-pear-apples looks a bit bigger...)


I'm not saying it was the ONLY one...there were a couple others, but they were a tad malformed or undersized. There's still one holding on for dear life - a gentle tug doesn't get it to release, so I leave it - it'll come off when it's ready. And why was this one so perfect? I wrapped it in row cover while it was developing - no bugs could get to it, but it had fresh air and room to grow.


There it is - I couldn't hide it forever - the one flaw. We'll pretend that didn't happen.


You're probably wondering - "aside from good looks, how did it taste", right? Well I was a little worried when I cut into it because it was a bit more yellowy, but y'know what? It was seriously the best tasting Asian pear apple I've ever had! It tasted SOOOO good! A little sweeter than ones I've had from the store. MMMM! I can't wait til next year - hopefully I'll have an even bigger harvest if I continue to pamper it...


Oh, and what were Brett's thoughts when I got him to try a small slice? "It was disgusting. I wish I could've spit it out." Oooooh well - this just means more for me in future years! In his defense, he doesn't like pears, nor does he like russet-skinned fruit...

4 comments:

FinnyKnits said...

Brett confuses me.

Your pear, on the other hand, looks excellent and I'm sure it was delicious!

Fun, too, that you'll get to hog them all.

Sharon Andy Holderman said...

if you had a nickel for every time Brett said that....

Kris said...

That pear looks amazing!

Jeph said...

Ok, it seems Blogger hasn't been emailing me when people post comments - and here I just thought folks had lost interest! Need to go check the settings....

Thanks for the complements guys - I was really excited to eat the perfect Asian pear apple, and then just a couple days ago Doogie and I ate the last of them (the really malformed one). It tasted just as good! I reeeeally hope I get more on the tree next year!