Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Chocolate Popcorn!

Ever have a recipe that, as soon as you see it, you KNOW you're going to have to try making it REEEEEALLY soon?

That happened to me when I saw this recipe for hot chocolate popcorn balls. Only, upon reading the recipe the "hot" part didn't appeal to me too much - I wasn't sure I wanted the cayenne pepper in the popcorn, yet I knew I wanted to try chocolate popcorn, especially since we'd just seen some for sale at West Side Market a week and a half ago...


After popping up a bunch of plain popcorn kernels in our popcorn popper (I started with a cup of unpopped popcorn - that makes A LOT of popcorn!), I dumped them in a giant mixing bowl and got to work on the candy coating. As soon as I put the regular Hershey's cocoa powder in with the other ingredients I wondered what it would've been like if I had instead used the Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder we have!? Arrrrgh!

Good thing one recipe of the candy coating wasn't enough for all that popcorn! So I had to make a second batch, and as I stirred it in the popcorn I was glad I added the darker cocoa to the second batch - you could just see the difference!


Turns out this is seriously good tasting stuff! But to answer the one question I was asked a few times, yes, the popcorn DOES lose some of it's crispness in the process. When I left it out to air dry on the counter yesterday evening it seemed to crisp up, but the act of storing it in containers softens it again. I might have to see if I can't find a recipe that results in a crisper end result - like maybe with less corn syrup?

Oh, and no way was I forming a bunch of balls with this! Instead I just crumbled it up into chunks for snacking on.

3 comments:

Kris said...

Holy cow that looks like yummy stuff! Don't eat it all at once. Save some for after digging out after this next storm a-comin'...

FinnyKnits said...

That's just naughty.

Jeph said...

It went over really well at work!

Kris - so far there's not that much snow. I wonder if we'll get hit really hard later today/tomorrow.

Finny - I think you like the naughty stuff.