Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Time for presents!

While I really don't push the whole "It's my birthday" thing real big, I DO get to make some noise when the cool gifts start showing up!

First off, I got this gift from Sharon and Andy this past Saturday!!!


What?

Get your mind outta the gutter!
And no, it's not a salt shaker.
Nor a really big pawn for a giant-sized chess game.

What is it?



Rather than me try to demonstrate it yet, I'm including a video from Lehman's, which just happens to be where Sharon bought my birthday gifts this year!



How cool is that!? Sure, it's more work than just re-using old plastic pots, but I've already accepted I'll be using some more labor-intensive, yet more eco-friendly, pot-replacement techniques this year. (More on that later...and don't get me wrong, I WILL still be re-using leftover plastic pots as well...)

Don't have a Lehman's around you? Most garden centers seem to carry these gadgets now, plus you can find them online.

Another really cool garden AND kitchen gadget Sharon and Andy got me are these RSVP Herb Scissors. These guys have a little more heft to them than they first appear, and have five very sharp blades (well, 10 blades, 5 sets of scissors?).


Check it out - those are scary looking! And you have no idea how much I'm itching to start bringing freshly picked herbs from the garden and then rapid-fire snipping them up with these babies. Can. Not. Wait!


But perhaps the coolest gift of all this birthday just arrived about 15 minutes ago! Brett's not even home from work yet, so he doesn't know I've received it. I don't do well with the terms "wait" and "patience", so sitting and starting at the box until March 15th is going to kiiiiill me.

As you can make out from the instructions on the outside of the box, you don't get to "start" the mushroom kit until at least the date stamped on the box. And since I'm supposed to keep the kit cool until then, I figure I'll just take it down to the basement now - which is where I figure I'll be growing these babies anyhow. Wow, seriously, this is going to be EXCITING! Trust me, I'll be reporting on the bounty of mushrooms I'm harvesting...

(Hm, I wonder if I can snip up baby bellas with the herb scissors? What do you think?)

Hmm....and if this is successful enough, I could always buy a few more of the boxes with some of the garden CSA income, grow them in the basement, and include mushrooms in the CSA shares. Eh, that might be biting off a bit more than I can handle this first year. Jeph Remley - Basement Mushroom Farmer??

Oh, and as a bonus, mushroom kit leftovers are supposed to be great for compost bins!

(THANKS HONEY!)

4 comments:

Kris said...

Hey, Happy birthday, Jeph. GREAT bunch of new garden gizmos to play with! Looking forward to see your paper pots and how they work out for you!

Jeph said...

Thanks! I'm excited to try out all the new toys!

FinnyKnits said...

Ahkk! I always wanted one of those. When I used to start seeds. Which I gave up on because our growing season is long enough to let me direct sow.

But still - so cool!

*jealous*

Jeph said...

I can't imagine direct sowing everything. Hello, it's March and there's still quite a bit of snow on the ground. THing is - we're expecting a heat wave!!!! Looks like we could hit mid-40s next week!