Friday, October 07, 2011

Best smoothie yet?!

I recently splurged on a bag of frozen mango chunks... Over $4 and I'm thinking it's only going to be enough for four or five smoothies? The last smoothie I tried with it was a bit lackluster.

I usually make smoothies to 1) use up bananas and 2) try to get yogurt in me. I really don't care for yogurt, but I'm finding I can tolerate it in sweet smoothies. Better than plain yogurt is vanilla, although I suspect it's packing a fair amount of sugar as well.

So into the cup go the usual 3-4 ice cubes, a broken up reeeally ripe banana, about 1/3 to a half cup of vanilla yogurt, and this time a bit more mango than last. In trying to oomph it up I drizzled in about a tablespoon of honey and tossed in one piece of crystallized ginger (this one was about 3/4" square).

Wow!

Just that one piece of ginger really gives it a nice depth I never expected in a smoothie. Any more ginger and I'd need it to be pumpkin and cinnamon instead of mango. And I think the honey also helped round out the various flavors. Yum!

(btw this made a big smoothie. That's only about a third of it in the clean glass dirtied only to take the picture.)
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments: