Sunday, May 12, 2013

Advanced prep

Came across this recipe awhile back, tried it, and loved it.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/vanilla-french-toast

It was a great way to use some more dense bread that wasn't super fresh, plus I think it's flavor had to be improved with the use of really rich farm fresh eggs from Breakneck Acres, and Tahitian vanilla (which is a little sweeter and more fruity than Madagascar vanilla).

Only I'd made three slices of French toast and couldn't eat them all (Brett doesn't do French toast), so I took some into work and ran it through the toaster for breakfast one morning. Yum! It helped that it was dense and not greasy, I'm sure.

So this morning I wanted to use up more bread, had more eggs from Breakneck Acres, and wanted to plan ahead for future yummy breakfasts at work. I made a 2.5x batch of the custard, adding a drop or two of orange oil for extra flavor, and had enough for most of the bread I needed to use up. I had to thin the last of the "sludge" at the bottom of the bowl with a little extra cream for the last slice of bread. Oh yeah -I would around half of the milk the recipe calls for was heavy cream in my batch. ;-)

Note that one of them got a little scorched - had a hard time juggling a non-stick griddle, a cast iron skillet, and prepping the next slices. A little powdered sugar and cinnamon mix plus maple syrup and it won't even be noticeable!

Once cooled the slices got layered with parchment paper and stashed into freezer bags, some for home, some for work. I haven't had it after freezing before, but I think these slices should hold up and taste good one run through the dry heat of the toaster.

1 comment:

anne marie in philly said...

looks dee-lish! :)