Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Beans, beans, good for your heart

Check out this yummy goodness!


A coworker brought this bean salad to a work potluck recently, and I loved it - got the recipe from her, and made it a few days later for a cookout we were going to.  While I don't know that it was a huge hit at the cookout, I sure enjoy it.  The crunchiness of the celery, pepper and onion go well with the light, "fresh" taste of the dressing, and then there's the more comfort-food-feel of the beans.  I'm not sure how you're SUPPOSED to eat this stuff, but I've found I like it both with just a spoon or fork, or with scoop-shaped tortilla chips.  I made it with a very small jalapeño I harvested from the garden, using just the outer part and discarding the seeds and membranes, and really think I could've gone with at least twice as much jalapeño - there was zero noticeable heat in the salad.  Granted, the way the garden is sucking this summer, it could be my jalapeños don't feel like cooperating...

Here's the recipe, as it was sent to me:

1 can of white & yellow corn
1 can black beans
1 can red beans
1 can pinto beans
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 medium onion diced

Drain & rinse beans & mix all together.

Dressing:
3 oz apple cider vinegar
2 oz oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbs water

Mix together in small sauce pan & bring to a boil. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Let cool & pour over bean mixture.

It tastes better if you let it all refrigerate overnight. You can also add a diced jalapeño.

No comments: