Monday, August 26, 2013

Put a ring on it...

First apple rings of the season!



These are from the Ginger Gold apples I picked up August 20, 2013 at Beckwith Orchards in Kent.  From what I'd read on line, and based on their name, I really thought I'd enjoy these apples.  They're supposed to be the most popular apple to ripen before Galas (my favorite), and I thought an apple with a hint of ginger would be really yummy.

Turns out I didn't really enjoy these out-of-hand.  Reading up on them, I found they're closer in flavor to a Granny Smith.

I don't like Granny Smith apples.

I don't even usually get them to use in pies and such, which they're highly recommended for.  I just don't have a thing for tart apples, and these are supposed to be mild with a tart finish.  Mild is a good word for them - they tasted similar to the bland, watery-flavored apples I bought at the grocery store back in July for my nieces to make apple rings with.  The good news is apples like this are totally fine dried and then torn up and added when I make my oatmeal - they definitely won't go to waste!

I'm really looking forward to this apple season - I swapped an email with Dave from Stotler's Orchards recently, and he said it's going to be a much better year for apples than last year was.  I prefer going to Stotler's just because I have great memories of picking apples out there with Brett, Sharon and Andy, but after Sharon and Andy moved to Tennessee this past year, it's just not the same.  I'm thinking of trying to round up an apple picking trip with current/former coworkers this fall, but in the meantime, if it's just swinging by to buy a bag of pre-picked apples, I can hit Beckwith's, which is closer to work and easy enough for me to swing by on my way home from work.

Here's looking forward to yummy Galas, tasty Jonagolds, small-orchard-raised Red and Golden Delicious (SO much better than anything at the grocery store!), and so much more!

No comments: