Thursday, June 19, 2014

Spuds!

Look what I just dug up from the garden!  I just remembered I've completely failed on one of my garden plans for this year - to keep piling straw mulch up around the base of the potatoes as they're growing, with the hopes of getting even more spuds per plant.  Would it work?  Is it too late now that the plants are 2-3 ft tall?

In the meantime, I'll stress over that while we enjoy what will hopefully be a tasty dinner.  I've always heard you can steal baby or "new" potatoes from the plant.  What I did was just rip up one of the plants (which actually seemed to have split into three directions), and got this mix of widely different sized potatoes.  I figure I'll chop up the bigger ones, boil them all (staggered based on size), and then finish with frying in butter, parsley, rosemary and garlic chives...plus salt and pepper obviously.
Mmmm...it better taste at least half as good as I'm fantastic about in my head.
Along with that, dinner will be ham I'm using up from the freezer, fried up in scrambled eggs with cheddar.  Yum!

No comments: