Tuesday, November 07, 2006

I couldn't resist...

...sometimes I have zero willpower.

Ina Garten's new Barefoot Contessa book came out, AND I had a coupon just for it for Borders, which is like two minutes from here. We've had some tough/frustrating times lately, and I desperately needed the pick me up.

Brett's also pointed out on more than one occasion that I cook when I'm stressed. So the day I brought Tucker back from the 24/7 Emergency Animal Hospital, and then dropped him off at our new vet (they were more optimistic by that time), we were worried we were going to lose him to similar symptoms that we lost Notch to. So what'd I do? I baked. I don't know why I decided to go for a honey white bread - I'm so not into eggy-tasting breads, like this recipe turned out to be... Turned out great though - I was more methodical, paid attention to the water temp, pre-warmed the bowl for the bread to rise in, etc. The dough turned out GREAT!

Now what was I going to do with TWO loaves of white bread for us!?!? The first was going to be tested out on the panini press (pretty darn good!) - and the second became fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting. I just rolled out the dough, spread softened butter all over it, sprinkled it with granulated sugar, cinnamon and brown sugar, and rolled it up. Sliced. Placed. Baked. Cooled. Covered in cream cheese frosting and....HOLY CRAP were they good!!! I ate one here and took the remaining 11 in to work, and they disappeared by mid-afternoon...

As for the book itself - it's not her best I'm afraid. Maybe this is because it seems to collect many recipes that have already been spotlighted on her show, and yet never made it into one of her books. Other things, like oatmeal - hm, maybe that didn't need space in a cookbook since she really didn't do anything TOO fancy? I liked her little chapter intros with her thoughts on what a kitchen needs, how to plan a meal, etc. Definitely could've done without the tour guide of the Hamptons - while I like seeing the places on her show, I'm afraid this felt like filler... Oh well - still a good book overall!







I have to confess though - I might have a new girlfriend! We've really enjoyed the first few episodes of Nigella Feasts on Food Network. Michele told me a few years ago I should check out Nigella Lawson, but she was on some network we just never tuned into I guess. Now I've got two of Michele's books on loan, and am loving them. Love Nigella's casual and fun cooking style and attitude. We're really wow'd by her body - that woman looks so "in shape" when they do the shoulders-up shots, but then they pull back to a full body view, and she's quite a bit more "shapely". It's kinda fun though - she definitely likes her food, and she knows how to dress stylishly for her shape. Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Peter said...

"Shapely"? You mean she's a normal sized woman? We could fit 14 kate Bosworths in her and still have room for a Nicole Richie or two?

Don't start making "shapely" sound like a bad thing if she's just normal size, Jeph. I admit, I haven't seen her, though. British, isn't she? I have a terrific little British cookbook by Sybil Kapoor I found for a song in a mall a few years back.

The buns look great, BTW. And if you get back into the gym one day, maybe the other ones will too!

:-P

the ginger tabby said...

The buns do look awesome...mmm..now that I'm off for a week, perhaps I should add "cooking" and "baking" to my list of things to do!

Anonymous said...

Nice "buns" Jeph... LOL and Ms. Garten is American..I tend to agree with the shapely comment.. I think she is a tad bigger than average size 14. Hey how would I know I am just a woman.. ;

Anonymous said...

so I am the idiot.. Nigella is probably normal sized but I agree looks are decieving when it comes to the angles they take the camrea shots on her..

Here I thought we were thinking of Ina..

Jeph said...

Glad my "buns" went over so well! :)

And yes, Nigella IS more "normal" sized/shaped....but what I'm saying is that isn't the standard by which so many women end out looking on tv. Hello - have you see that bobble-headed girl, Gaida DeLorentis!?