Thursday, December 21, 2006

Loafing it up!

Continuing my recent adventures in bread baking, I once again hit up FarmGirl's Oatmeal Toasting Bread - this time with better luck in the overall dough, and in my experiments. This time I used the new toy to work the dough, and my experimental loaf was just a free form boule (round bread).

I was surprised to find the boule actually cooked faster than the standard 9x5" loaf pans - I figured it would take longer due to it's round blobby shape more surface area spread out. Maybe that had the opposite effect instead? How do I know it cooked more? Thanks to Julie (from work), I knew to check the temperature of the bread - so when it was SUPPOSED to be done, I popped one of the loaves out of their pan and stuck in my instant read thermometer and found the temperature was 190F - PERFECT! And the boule? 200F! 10F higher - but apparently that wasn't so much that it ruined the bread. Also interesting note - the boule was considerably lighter than the loaves in the pans - what's up with that?



Gotta say I DEFINITELY like the rustic look of the round freeform loaf, and hope to do more like this. Julie loaned me a bread book of hers that's be worn out over the years - sections of pages are falling out all over the place, and she has notes (written in Italian) all over the place - a descriptive comment about the bread, and the year she first made it.

3 comments:

the ginger tabby said...

Mmmmm...mmmmmm...mmmmm....

Peter said...

How many posts did you do today? Wow! I'm mightily impressed.

Jeph said...

LOL Sorry - Blogger was working nicely with letting me post, and I'd finally found a way to get Picasa to do mass down-sizings of pictures since full sized picture uploads have been real fussy lately. So I got caught up on SOME of the recent pics/posts I wanted to do. Don't worry - there's more yet to come! ;-)

PS - I ALMOST sent a loaf of bread in your package, but it just wasn't going to work out - not fresh enough for the couple extra days travel, figured you guys would have plenty of holiday food, size of the box to accomodate bread AND the other stuff in there, etc... Sorry - maybe next time!? :)