Saturday, February 03, 2007

Joss is Off!

Oh no!

Joss Whedon, creator of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV series, Angel TV series, and Firefly TV series/Serenity movie has been slated to write and direct an upcoming Wonder Woman movie for awhile now.

Anyone who's ever watched those other series KNOWS Joss can write great female characters. Wouldn't he be wonderful for Wonder Woman?

But yesterday (Friday) he announced he's no longer going to be working on the Wonder Woman movie. Here's the full scoop from Comics Continuum:

In a posting at the Whedonesque.com, Whedon wrote:

"I'm no longer slated to make Wonder Woman. What? But how? My chest... so tight! Okay, stay calm and I'll explain as best I can. It's pretty complicated, so bear with me. I had a take on the film that, well, nobody liked. Hey, not that complicated.

"Let me stress first that everybody at the studio and Silver Pictures were cool and professional. We just saw different movies, and at the price range this kind of movie hangs in, that's never gonna work. Non-sympatico. It happens all the time. I don't think any of us expected it to this time, but it did. Everybody knows how long I was taking, what a struggle that script was, and though I felt good about what I was coming up with, it was never gonna be a simple slam-dunk. I like to think it rolled around the rim a little bit, but others may have differing views.

"The worst thing that can happen in this scenario is that the studio just keeps hammering out changes and the writer falls into a horrible limbo of development. These guys had the clarity and grace to skip that part. So I'm a free man."


So saaaad.... :(

Well, maybe he would work on a Buffy movie instead! ;-) Nah - he's probably already too busy with other projects, including the new Buffy comic book series coming out next month (it's being considered "season 8", taking place one year after the tv series left off), and also his amazing work on Astonishing X-Men. Oh, AND I think he's taking over the writing chores of Marvel's Runaways comic....which I've been reading for quite awhile, and managed to get the trade paperbacks (actually in odd little digest format) to catch up on the ones I did miss out on. One of the more interesting comics with probably the least stable casts!


No comments: