Monday, July 09, 2007

BBQ Chicken Pizza

Last nite's BBQ Chicken Pizza turned out GREAT! It wasn't all that big around, but it was so loaded with toppings that we each only had a quarter of it...

First I started off by making my favorite pizza dough recipe, and I actually punched it down twice and let it rise extra long for an extra bubbly crust. It got a little thin in one spot during the patting out process, so I just folded it back over in the middle and it turned out fine.

Sprayed both sides with Pam, and cooked it on the grill - no idea how long, just til it "felt right".


Then I drizzled some BBQ sauce on, added some shredded cheese (montery jack and cheddar) for "glue", and the diced BBQ chicken (which I rolled around in more BBQ sauce).


After letting the first layer of stuff sit in the closed grilled to warm up, I added drained black beans, fresh corn cut from the cob and lightly steamed, and some diced red onion. (Brett wasn't too thrilled with my adding red onion to the whole thing!)



Then to my half I added sliced and sauteed baby patty pan squash and diced avocado, worrying that the avocado would suffer from the grill treatment (it didn't!).


Mmmm...looking pretty darn good already!


Snipped on some freshly picked cilantro (which probably would've looked better on the very top), and then more shredded cheese (hey, I had to hold it all together somehow, right?!). I turned the heat down real low, let it sit for awhile to warm through and melt the cheese, found it still needed more melting, so I shut off the grill and let it just sit in there for another five minutes or so.



The finished product - ready to be sliced and eaten with a nice salad.



Mmmmmmm so good!

6 comments:

Dirty Fingernails said...

ARe you kidding me?? How much fat do you think is in that?? It looks so good!! And all on your grill in your NEW backyard????

Dirty Fingernails said...

and I am with Brett!!! YUCKY onions

Jeph said...

Hm, let me think. Well, the cheese is obviously fattening, but there probably wasn't even two cups of it loosely shredded. Chicken's not fatty when grilled(although the BBQ sauce might be?). Beans? Nah. Corn? Nah. Onions? Nah. Squash? Just sauteed in a drip of olive oil. Avocado? Good-for-you fat. The dough? No fat added.

See? All good for you except the cheese, and it really could've stood to have more on it! ;-)

the ginger tabby said...

It looks delicious! Did the dough/crust stand up to all that goodness on top of it? :)

Jeph said...

The crust was surprisingly crisp on the outside while still having a nice subtle chew to it. Not a fluffy BREADY dough, but a good crisp one that could hold up to all that weight.

Peter said...

Brett won't eat onions? For goodness' sake! Send him up here for a week and I'll feed him plenty of stuff he'll learn to like!

The pizza looks very very good, including (especially) the onions!