Friday, September 14, 2007

Home Sick...

It's that time of year again... Working at a University has it regular, predictable cycles - such as all the new freshmen coming in for the new fall semester, all the kids coming back to school from their home towns after Christmas Winter Break, oh, and all the kids bringing their custom hometown bugs with them when they come back to school. I'm not talking plagues or anything, but if even a handful of kids come to school sick, and they make out with two other students at a drunken frat party, and then those recipients make out at a drunken sorority party, etc - before you know it, within the first few weeks after the new semester starts, more folks are getting sick.

Happens every year, and I think someone could do a study on it!

Annnnnyhow, folks at work have been feeling crappy, calling off sick, stuffed up, headachey, upset stomachs, coughing, hacking, etc. I was feeling mildly crappy through the week, and by yesterday folks were telling me I should just stay home. Ok, I don't feel THAT bad, but who DOESN'T take an opportunity for a sick day!? :)

And when one is sick, but still able to move around and do stuff...annnnnd when it's going into cooler fall weather, one nice thing is a big bowl of comfort food in the form of beef stew. Here's what we had last nite for dinner while watching The Devil Wears Prada. Pretty good movie, really good stew! (I feel like we're behind - as if we were the last ones on the planet to see this movie. Turns out Sharon's even behind us, as she also hasn't seen it!)


And today I got to spend a little time reading, AND wanted to do a little cooking, but since I slept in til 11am (12 hrs of sleep when you don't feel good - NIIIIIIIIICE!), I missed the opportunity for a real breakfasty meal. So I tried something out of the new Nigella Express book I got from Amazon.uk last week - Green Eggs and Ham. Basically you're making a pesto crepe, and then folding it over sliced ham (and I added a little fresh mozzarella). DAAAAMN good stuff! Since I only ate the one (sliced in half in the pics below), and was also eating a leftover blueberry muffin from Einstein Bagels plus a sliced Jazz apple (WOW - you gotta get your hands on one of these!), I popped the rest in the fridge. I figure they'll be pretty good as leftovers, reheated or cold.


No comments: