Thursday, May 08, 2008

Herb garden

This particular bed is definitely becoming my favorite... I planted most of the herbs in front of the asian pear tree yesterday afternoon, and assuming they don't get root rot from all the recent rain, I should be doing pretty good (well, I'm still on the lookout for some cheap rosemary), especially as far as thyme goes. I've got orange thyme, lime thyme, lemon thyme, golden lemon thyme (x3 - my fave!), a variegated silver thyme, and some plain ol' English thyme, plus the one thyme from last year that survived. Also put in oregano, marjoram (Sharon, this is not where margarin comes from), a couple rosemary, three varieties of sage, Corscican mint (not for eating), and lavendar (also not for eating) (at least I've never used it). Hopefully Mary can hook me up with some lemon grass and lemon verbena!


Oh, and here's the mint I've been growing for years - it's name is Raida! I bet it feels like a prisoner in that buried bottomless, DEEP pot.


Excuse me, have you got the thyme?

4 comments:

Raida said...

Hey! You have a plant named after moi! Why is the mint taking over at your place and I can't get mine to live. I've brought mint from my OH patch to CA twice and it keeps dying!

Jeph said...

Next time you're in town come see me and I'll hook you up!!! ;-) Seriously - Raida mint is some crazy invasive stuff. (Oh wait - ALL mint is that way! LOL)

I'm tempted to fix up some tabouleh soon - every time I see that mint out there, it calls out to me. If only my parsley was doing that well.

Raida said...

This is a very delayed response....but, we recently landscaped our back yard and there is now a whole mint section which seems to be doing well. I've made a few good pots of tea out of it! I've never tried to make tabouleh - I need to get on the ball!

Jeph said...

Funny you're writing just now! I just found out from Cindy yesterday that she's going to ALA today and will be seeing you. I told her if I'd had more advance notice that I would've sent a baggy with a moist papertowel and a bunch of mint clippings to you - which I'm sure by the time you could've gotten it home, it would've been overflowing with full sized plants rooted right into the papertowel! ;-)

She said she might bring you some of hers (which apparently she got from stealing it from MY place - I guess it was decoration on some food thing at a party and she took it and it rooted! LOL)...but was concerned about airport issues.