Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Comfort soup

Home sick.

No appetite.

Body's telling me I need to eat something since it'd been more than 12 hours since I last ate.

No desire to go get something.

No leftovers that aren't already planned for a meal.

Canned tomato soup and a grilled cheese sounded good.

Aw crap. No soup. The one can of clam chowder did NOT appeal to me - way too creamy and thick for how I was feeling.

Ok, what to do. I'd pushed a bunch of cans of garbanzos, kidney beans, canned tomatoes, broth and more out of the way digging for that tomato soup.

Hm. Ok, scrounge the garden and the herb bed...


What you see above is swiss chard, a mix of onions, a couple cloves of garlic (NOT homegrown yet), some thyme, and little straggly bits of parsley, cutting celery and basil. The cutting celery is really interesting - looks like big, leafy parsley, but smells STRONGLY of celery - a VERY nice addition to soups!

Grab the remains of a box of pasta that needed to be used up, a box of chicken broth, a can of beef broth, a can of diced tomatoes, a can each of garbanzos and kidney beans. Add all that to the sauteing veggies, throw in some frozen green beans, and then just at the end stir in some more swiss chard for texture and color (the cooked down chard wasn't so attractive). I'm sure some other stuff probably got added - I don't remember what right now...

The minestrone really hit the spot!

No comments: