Sunday, June 22, 2008

Serving Up The Harvest

While out running errands and grabbing lunch yesterday, I talked Brett into a quick stop into Borders (let's be honest - on the rare occasions I get into Borders, it's never "a quick stop"). I got some cell phone pics of books I'll want to check out from the library (or order cheaper at Amazon), but one book I couldn't resist waiting for, and had to buy on the spot, was Serving Up The Harvest ... It looked like it'd be the solution to all the needs of us gardeners dealing with stuff like "too much swiss chard". (Right, like that ever happens!?)

After more errands we got home and I found I had a hard time putting the book down! It's broken down by seasons (sort of), and then within the seasons are the veggies you'll most likely harvest, sorted alphabetically. So the "Early to Mid-Summer" section has beets (mine don't look like they're going to be real productive - maybe I didn't thin them enough?), broccoli (loving what we're harvesting!), cucumbers (nothing yet - still too small), snap beans (ditto), swiss chard (ha ha!) and zucchini & summer squash (they're still too tiny). And then throughout the book are "Height of the Season" sections where it's more of a hodge podge of veggies.

OH, and each veggie section starts with a very brief gardening section - with Sow & Reap notes such as growing, sowing, cultivating and harvesting, the Kitchen Notes where things like varieties are discussed, plus stuff like Chard Math (1 pound Swiss chard = 6-8 stems with leaves, or 15 cups chopped), and Timing (how long to cook each veggie using different methods, such as blanching, sauteing and braising).

Many of the recipes include lots of suggested variations, which is what I love about cookbooks like this. We don't always have, nor want to run out and buy, the specific ingredients, and instead we're trying to use up something else. Like tonite, for example - I don't happen to be growing celery (does anyone grow celery?), nor do we have any water chestnuts in the pantry. But I DO have broccoli, snow peas (butt loads!) and bok choy (still bolting!). I've been to Chinese restaurants where snow peas were in Moo Goo Gai Pan instead of celery (what a WONDERFUL substitution).

Hm. The recipe in the book for Moo Goo Gai Pan sounds great!

I haven't had Moo Goo Gai Pan in ages.

It's storming outside - so much for grilling burgers (I don't like 'em fried indoors).

I think it's time to try a new recipe!

So here we go - from pages 210-211 of Serving Up The Harvest, with my own variations (none of these were suggested by the book, but hey, that's ok!)

First slice the chicken and mix it up with the marinade - that sits for at least 15 minutes. Make the sauce. Chop the veggies. I opted to steam the broccoli just a little first to get it started - I don't have much luck with stir fried broccoli without steaming it first - falls apart, or is too crunchy, or just...bleh.

Cook the chicken, and add the mushrooms (didn't have, used broccoli).



Remove from pan. Cook the celery (didn't have), bok choy, and snow peas (my addition).


Work in the ginger, garlic and scallions. Return the meat and broccoli to the pan. Add the sauce. Enjoy over rice! MMM!


This was good stuff - although Brett felt I could've used less garlic (it called for two cloves and, admittedly, the ones I bought yesterday were huge!)


Brett had a great suggestion - a side of edamame (courtesy of Sam's Club). YUMMMM!


Sure, I caught Brett picking out the bok choy ribs (and I even left out the leafy parts - they were pretty bug-eaten anyhow), but we both seemed to enjoy it... Will definitely have to make this again, and look forward to many more recipes from the book.

More inspiration? The Swiss chard section alone includes the following recipes:
  • Swiss chard stracciatella
  • Braised chard
  • Swiss chard gratin
  • Braised chard pizza (mmm!)
  • Chard and ravioli (mmm mmmm mmmm!)
  • Penne with chard and sausage
Man, this book makes me huuuungry!

No comments: