Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Let them eat cake...

...and they'll be walking up and down the halls praising your name!

I'm finally making some time to do some baking. When even my BOSS pulls me aside as I'm leaving work, says "Jeph, do you have a minute? There's something I wanted to talk to you about... I notice you haven't been bringing in many baked goods lately, and I was wondering what's going on. Should I put an old cigar box out for people to donate money for ingredients? Because I'll happily chip in if it'll get more baked goods in here!", I think it's a sign...

So Saturday I whipped up (ha! these recipes take FOREVER!) this cinnamon streusel coffee cake from the Great Coffee Cakes, Sticky Buns, Muffins and More book:


Mmmm...that's NICE! I didn't have the 1 1/2 cups of pecans it called for - maybe a half cup total? So I just double the rest of the streusel ingredients, and dumped in some flour and butter to beef it up a bit. GOOD STUFF! I took in 3/4 of an entire angel food cake-pan's worth today, and it was GONE by afternoon! Trust me, this is a big cake!


And since it wasn't QUITE the texture I was hoping for (I want something more dense, like Starbucks cinnamon swirl coffee cake), I figured, heck, let's try another one - so when I got home from work today I made this sour cream pound cake. It JUST came out of the oven - so I'll have to report back later.



Follow up - the pound cake is gooooood! Not much flavor to it, so I think next time I would like to add some lemon zest/extract, or almond extract maybe? HOWEVER, with my second slice (yes, I said second - get off my back), I found it was REALLY good with strawberry jam smeared on it. YUUUUM!

2 comments:

Dave E. said...

Well. All I have to say is, "Hmph."

Peter said...

Jephie, one week and no new post?

In other words: get cracking, laddie!