Friday, December 19, 2008

Leftover Stew - Now Pot Pie!

After last weekend's mega-load of beef stew from having the guys over, I felt I needed to get creative to use it up (I also froze a bunch of it).  So I dug some frozen puff pastry out of the freezer, thawed it, rolled it out, and had some fun with a snow flake cookie cutter...



I just cut out the circles a little bigger than the intended serving bowls, then cut out the snowflakes and set them off to the side on the pan.  Part way through baking I removed the snowflakes since they were browning faster.  Once the puff pastry was done I heated stew up in our bowls, grated on some sharp white Cheddar, and plopped on the puff pastry...



Sorry - the pictures are a little dark.

I didn't want to waste all the remaining puff pastry, so I used a recipe I found at puffpastry.com - cut into strips, brush with egg yolk, sprinkle with parmesian cheese and herbs, stick on another strip, twist, and bake.  YUM!  These were GREAT snacks to go along with our stew...

3 comments:

FinnyKnits said...

I wonder if this would be a good way to use up the pulled pork? Plus, then we'd get to have twisty parmesan sticks. That looks good.

the ginger tabby said...

You're very creative, Jeph!

Jeph said...

Hm, I don't think bbq pork would be good in a soup, but the mexican version might be. Could you do sort of a tortilla soup?

And yeah, you need to plan to do something that leaves you with extra dough for the twists!!

Thanks Tabby!