Tuesday, December 16, 2008

This ain't Chipotles...

Sharon highly recommend Kory's knock-off recipe of Chipotle's barbacoa recently... Sure looked good when Sharon made it, so I decided we'd give it a try!  The sauce was quite a mix of stuff, including onions, vinegar, chipotles in adobo sauce, bay leaves and more - all of which are blended together, chopped up into a very wet puree.  This is then layered in the crock pot and allowed to cook for a good long time...


Holy smokes!  Just as Sharon warned me - this stuff had some SERIOUS kick!!!  Just pulling off little pieces for taste testing really lit the mouth on fire.  Here's the beef roast coming out of the slow cooker, ready for some man-handling.


And here it is after getting roughed up a bit...


Brett!!  Stop stealing the food - wait til dinner time!


To try and mimic Chipotle's barbacoa (and also because Kory suggests it), I cooked up plain white rice, to which I added lime juice and cilantro.  The tortillas (these were actually wraps) were filled with the seasoned rice, shredded barbacoa, shredded cheese, black beans, lettuce and for me, a little avocado (yum!).



While we LOVED snacking on the barbacoa, it seemed to lose some of it's flavor and spice once mingled with all the other burrito ingredients.  Not sure why - we had it steeping in the spicey cooking liquid, but maybe I drained the meat too much as I put it into the burrito?  The overall flavor was good, but we're still on the hunt for the perfect recipe that matches up with our taste expectations...  (Sorry Kory!)

4 comments:

Peter said...

It looks good nonetheless.

I wonder if reserving some liquid and reducing it down to a sauce would help.

Sharon Andy Holderman said...

I did forget to tell/write you that after I pulled out the beef and shredded it all in a bowl, I then added about 1/2-ish cup of the liquid to it. Not anywhere near enough to make it soupy, but just enough to make it juicy. I bet that is how I got more flavor in mine than you did?

Nixon said...

Well its as close to chipotle as I have gotten so far! maybe the black beans killed it, as beans do many meals! ;)
Have a great christmas!

Jeph said...

I forgot to mention that I did add SOME of the liquid - just maybe not enough?

And no Kory, I don't think the black beans ruined it. Nice try! ;-) Beans are GOOD and they're GOOD FOR YOU!!! YUM!

Hope you guys have a great Christmas as well!