Saturday, January 24, 2009

Because I deserve it...

I don't care how good Santa Claus is to you at Christmas time, and it doesn't matter how generous family and friends are with gifts. Sometimes you just gotta treat yourself!! I'd been itching to try some stuff from King Arthur Flour, such as the espresso powder called for by so many recipes, plus I'd run out of really good vanilla and the amazing Vietnamese cinnamon, so it was time to place an order. And, as a bonus, they were having a free shipping special!


In addition to the vanilla, cinnamon and espresso powder, I also decided to try getting some fancier cocoa (will I notice a difference between this and Hershey's in baked goods!?), citrus oils (a set of lemon, lime and orange - and they smell gooood!), and something I may really regret - sourdough starter plus a crock to keep it in.

Now this sourdough starter says "Feed me please!" with explicit instruction on how to rejuvenate this little TINY sample of dough, and then how to build it up into something you'll be chained to for the rest of your life (or more like IT'S life - if you kill it, you're free!). Only one of the first steps takes 8-12 hours, and I'm sorry, but this stuff arrived on a Wednesday afternoon, and I'm not getting up in the middle of the night just to give it more flour and a stir! A quick call to King Arthur Flour and I was assured it could wait a few days in the fridge... Whew! So this stuff doesn't mind waiting for the weekend...and then I'll give it all the TLC it needs! Hopefully within the next week I'll be whipping up some kick-ass sourdough bread!! And espresso-scented baked goods, probably using some incredible cocoa and vanilla. And then I need to make something citrussy as well!

Ok, maybe I better pace myself! ;-)

2 comments:

Andy said...

W - O - W!

Jeph said...

Jealous!?