Sunday, January 25, 2009

Yummy in my tummy

What's really good when the weather's super cold?

Potato soup - of course!

And what's even better than just potato soup?

Cheesy, bacony potato soup.


Ooooh yeah, that really hit the spot!! And the multigrain bread I pulled from the freezer and toasted up was so good torn up into pieces and added more like croutons!

I fried up some chopped up bacon in the pressure cooker, then removed the crumbly bits to some paper toweling to de-grease. Then I added chopped up onions, celery and carrots, let them saute a brief bit, and then deglazed the pan (remember, it had bacon frying too!) with just a tablespoon or so of white wine. Oh, and some butter! Butter seemed appropriate! Then I added some diced up ham I pulled from the freezer, and the peeled and cubed potatoes. Covered all that with water, tossed in a couple chicken boullion cubes (mom's secret potato soup ingredient!), sealed the pressure cooker, and let it go a short while.

Once the taters were just tender enough, I poured in some heavy cream that needed to be used up, and hit the whole thing briefly with the immersion blender. I didn't want to make it all one big creamy mess - so there were still chunks of potatoes, celery, carrots, ham etc floating around. Those carrots that did get hit by the immersion blender gave the soup a slight rosey color - pretty!

Then it was time to add the bacon, scoop it into bowls, and grate on some cheddar.

Mmmmm!


That really hit the spot!

4 comments:

Meme said...

Hi Jeph,

Boy, does that look and sound delicious. I have never met a potato I didn't like, maybe it's because of being Irish.

Jeph said...

Thanks! I've a feeling we'll be having potato soup again real soon! ;-)

Peter said...

Homemade bread on the side?

Jeph said...

Nah, not this time - just some multigrain Tuscan bread from the store.