Saturday, January 17, 2009

Bluebirds

I've learned to keep my camera near by when I'm working from home, which is most Mondays. Who knows what sites you normally miss on when you're not at home...or when you get some unexpected company...



...or even uninvited assistance!



But this post isn't about the dog (for a change!). Nope...I've been trying to get more fun pictures of the birds out at the bird feeders...only I'm gonna need to take those screens off the window because they're interfering way too often. This past Monday, for example - I missed some BEAUTIFUL shots without the interference of the screens when an adult bluebird and an...immature bluebird?...appeared at the feeder! (Plus some scene-hogging sparrow or whatever in the middle - ignore him)


I initially assumed the adult was a male because it was so vibrantly colored, but looking around online, I'm now guessing it's a female eastern bluebird (note the gray down the back and not-as-bright-as-I-thought blue plummage). I guess the males are even more vibrantly colored...


And I'm guessing the immature one MIGHT be a male, but heck if I know...can't find any really good pics of immature bluebirds out there that aren't all speckly.


I was able to slowly stand up and take a picture through the top part of the window...so here's a better shot of the juvenile. Cute and fluffy! I'm surprised to see juvenile birds in the middle of winter - I guess I thought that was more of a spring and summer thing...


Seems bluebirds really like mealworms, which I've thought about growing myself. Might be worth a shot, since they'll bring in a wider variety of birds. I only saw the bluebirds once or twice last winter, and this is the first time this winter... Hopefully they'll keep coming back, but they didn't linger long with this visit...

3 comments:

Peter said...

The blue of them is pretty distinct, isn't it? I didn't doubt you knew you'd seen them when you first told me.

Dave E. said...

I followed the Wikipedia link, and discovered what I want my sci-fi name to be: Sialia Currucoides. That's the mountain bluebird - I know, we're talking eastern's - I just like that Latin name!

Jeph said...

LMAO Dave...ok sure, we'll start calling you that... Yo Sialia!!