Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Rise and shine!

Here's a picture I took last week...


And here's pictures I took this weekend, showing how all the growies are starting to wake up from their winter slumber.

This here's a snowball viburnum I think?


These are shasta daisies I started from seed last year. MUCH cheaper to start any perennials from seed that I can, rather than buying full grown plants at the garden centers. Sure, it takes them a little longer to get going, but I can fill in the flower beds for much less expense!


Yeah, I don't recall what this guy is...I was just concerned it was more of Mary's stealth mint coming up at first (it's not).


These are the buds on one of the two weeping cherries I planted last year. This particular one is LOADED with buds, and it actually had a worse time - I got lazy, couldn't decide where to plant it, it tipped over in a number of wind storms while still in it's pot, it dried out a bunch, etc... And yet it looks VERY happy right now!


I'm guessing these are tulips?


And I think these are daffodils, with what I BELIEVE is the super tiny serviceberry shrub/tree I got really cheap this past year at a garden sale... (It's the red twigs) Serviceberry is supposed to provide year round appeal in the garden - blooming in the spring, nice foliage during the summer, attractive change of color in the fall, and berries over winter that the birds love. My first serviceberry I put in got nibbled on by deer last spring...so I'll be on the watch out for that - need to spray them all with an "egg wash" that I recently learned about - that's supposed to deter deer.


Here's Doogie supervising the peas I planted on Friday. I don't deal with shelling peas - I'm not a big fan, and they're too much work. But sugar snap peas and snow peas? Yum! All of these seeds I planted are between 1 and maybe 5 years old? We'll see how well they do...


Oh, and those crocuses that were thinking of opening up last week?


Those were in the front yard where they get the most sun. Here's some in the side yard on the north side of the house - so not as much sun, but these guys are starting to open up as well!



After I'd take the camera in, I also noticed some of my pansies survived winter and are blooming. Great!

2 comments:

Andy said...

Get your fence in for the peas NOW before they pop up out of the ground... or else you will end up mushing them later. (I speak from pea killing experience on that one)

Visit us at Bluebird Meadow Farms

Jeph said...

Oh I'll probably just stick twigs/branches down in amongst them like I did last year - worked out great. Granted, this year I'm also growing some that COULD get up to 6' tall, but all the seeds were so old I'm not putting in any supports until I confirm they're actually going to sprout. If I were doing a bigger batch of them, I'd make a teepee and then string twine around it. That's really not a very big area they're being alotted...