Friday, March 26, 2010

Market foods!

The weekend after my birthday, we got together with Brett's folks for quite a fun adventure at the West Side Market in Cleveland. I'll go ahead and intersperse some of the pics I took of food we got from the market with the rest of this entry....


Here's some andouille I got from one of the butchers. This was way cheaper than what we'd gotten in Akron, and tasted great! Along with chicken and frozen okra, I added it to a gumbo soup mix - yummo!

We hadn't been to the market in probably a couple years, then went sometime in February, and we had so much fun, and got such great foods, that I asked if we could go for my birthday, and to take Brett's folks along as part of the fun. They're a lot of fun to hang out with, and definitely appreciated seeing all the fun vendors and buying great food and ingredients. As part of my birthday gift, their bday card for me included cash to spend at the market - SWEEEEET!!! Less guilt with all the shopping I would do! ;-)



Mmmm - these blackberries and kiwis may not have been in season locally, but they sure tasted like summer!

Unfortunately I didn't take a camera to get pictures of our fun. Plus there are SO many people there that I'm sure someone would frown on being in the background of a picture, and it's so crowded that it'd probably be difficult to get a picture anyhow.


There's not much left of this chocolate cigar I got from one of the bakeries in the market. I'm guessing it's original length was about 6"? It's like a puff pastry rolled with a very tasty dark chocolate, and then after that's all rolled and baked, it's dusted with powdered sugar. I'd love to know what the chocolate is inside!

I'd guess we spent at least an hour in the market. Afterwards, the follow up event was a surprise. They knew I really wanted to try Melt quite awhile back, but when we went with the guys it was a 2hr wait and they don't take reservations. As we pulled up to Melt for lunch time I was all excited. This was it - we were going to get to try this place that was supposed to be so good. Only, when we got inside, we found there was a 2 1/4 hr wait. For LUNCH! WTH!?!?


I've never bought artichokes before, but since I'm thinking of growing them this year, I figured I'd give 'em a try. I hadn't had artichoke since I was a kid (other than canned/jarred ones incorporated into recipes). Yum - good stuff! Steamed, and then the leaves are torn off and dipped in a mix of mayo, lemon juice and garlic salt. Oh, and the heart of the artichoke? YUUUUM!

Nevermind - we drove around and found a pub that Marty and Linda had eaten at before - The Merry Arts - and found that their lunch food was VERY good. Sure, the place was dead at lunch time, but it was well worth the side trip - my panini and homemade chips were great. Sorry Melt - it looks like we'll have to try some other time!


These asparagus are a little early for what'd be grown locally, but they sure were good. I wonder how many I'll get from my garden this year...

Even with the disappointment with the Melt plans, we all had a great day - thanks Marty and Linda for a super fun birthday adventure!


I need to get more adventurous with fish. I know Brett won't touch it unless it comes in stick-shape, breaded and frozen. I was talking with another customer at the fish monger, and she recommended the red snapper, which she was buying herself. When I first met this fish, it was lying on a bed of ice, and still had the entire body, tail, head and eyes attached. I forget what it cost per pound - but these two fillets cost me $9.75 - ouchie! But it was really good and I got three meals out of it, so not too bad!

Oh, and it turns out the next weekend Linda called to say they're ready to go back again sometime! I'd LOVE to! Only, considering it's nearly an hour drive (meaning we always need to remember to pack a cooler with ice!), and I buy a lot of stuff when we go up there, I think we need to wait a little longer for a return trip... ;-)



The first meal with the fish - lightly breaded and fried, along with the asparagus and artichoke. Tasty!


For lunch the next day, I tore up cold, breaded fish, and made fish tacos...along with more artichoke. I have to say I really liked the fish tacos! I don't expect they were "authentic" by California standards, but they tasted really good to me!

6 comments:

Kris said...

Too bad you didn't get into Melt. I'm not surprised it was so crowded since it was featured on Guy's "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" tv show. Having Iron Chef Michael Simon showing up was a bonus. Hope you eventually get there. Great pics of your culinary adventures!

Jeph said...

Have you eaten at any of Michael Symon's places? His burger place (B-Spot?) was really good! And we ate at Lola yeeeears ago - seriously good food!

EostreEgg said...

Yeah, that's pretty typical for a Melt wait. Dinner is usually well over 3hrs to get in. On the bright side, the Cleveland Heights location opens up in a few weeks, and it's only 3 miles from my house! :)

Jeph said...

oooooh - lucky you! I imagine you'll be able to go over, say yes you're fine with the three hour wait, put your name in, then head back home to chill out for most of that wait time! ;-)

Sharon Andy Holderman said...

I won't even mention how much the artichoke suggests girly parts. No wonder Brett doesn't like them ;)

Jeph said...

Oh good - soooo glad I'm not the only one thinking that!