Monday, July 29, 2013

Sunflowers

I got an accidental late start on planting my sunflowers this year - just one of those lower priority things ya kind of forget about. Theeeeen I'm sure the rabbits got a lot of them. There are a couple clusters coming up here and there in the garden. But what's really showing off now, and it's really nice having some vibrant color out there, is this volunteer, which is of the multi-stalk kind.



When it first shot up and produced a flower, I worried it would just have a single flower and then be done. Thankfully it's got a bunch of side shoots blooming now. And I'm guessing the birds are going to love all those seeds when it's time to start picking them out...I know the black-capped chickadees will put on quite a performance picking seeds from the flower head some times.

1 comment:

anne marie in philly said...

ooooooooooooh, you have those giant sunflowers! a bird-feeding frenzy awaits!