Monday, August 05, 2013

It's not easy being green

But it sure is tasty! 

I've been itching to see when our sweet corn has been ready for harvest.  After looking up info online, I really thought they were super close - the ones farthest along had really dry silks, felt fairly plump, and were sticking out at an extreme angle.  Well, uh, nope - not ready yet:


This is Silver Queen, which is supposed to be a white-kerneled corn.  Instead it's bordering on pale green still, and the kernels are REALLY small.  Eating it was like eating jumbo sized baby corn that you'd get in some Chinese food - that watery, lackluster taste, with only just a hint of crispness, and the cobs were even bendy!  Oh well - they weren't awful...we went ahead and had them with dinner, and now I know it's going to be at least, what, a week or two before any more are ready?

Much more successful, at least for me (Brett doesn't touch zucchini if he can at all avoid it) were these zucchini fritters, from Smitten Kitchen.  Wowza were they good!  The only change I had to make was thinly slicing a regular onion since I didn't have any scallion.  I have to say the onion tasted great in there - I don't mind the substitution one bit.  Now these guys seemed like they'd be crisp when they came out of the pan, but then they sit in the oven at 200F for awhile (both per the recipe recommendations and because other stuff was cooking).  They lost their crispness, but I didn't consider it an issue.


I have it on my agenda to make more fritters soon, and trying other veggies like corn, potato, cabbage, kale, carrots etc...  Yum!

That's not all that was green with dinner this night.  We had a couple leftover grilled chicken breast halves that needed used up, and they hadn't had a marinade or any other real flavor, so I whipped up some quick basil pesto, boiled some pasta, and tossed them all together with the chunked up chicken.  First pesto of the season was super yummy!


And because we didn't have enough green going on, and because I felt bad Brett seemed short on food without eating the fritters, we also had green bell pepper and cucumber from the garden.  Man, I feel like we should've had some green beans as well.  ;-)

No comments: