Friday, August 16, 2013

RIP Enchirito

As we get ready to go into this weekend, let us first have a moment of silence...


For some STUPID ASS reason, Taco Bell has gotten rid of the Enchirito, replacing it with the new, nasty, "someone got a little heavy handed with the bottle of LiquidSmoke" smothered burrito they're pushing.  Their new smothered burrito is a great concept, but I found the taste a little overwhelming - as it a little too chemically overwhelming.  Articial.  Blech.

It SHOULD have been good...and maybe I'll get used to it.

But that was no reason to kill off one of my absolutely favorite foods, the Taco Bell Enchirito.  Now the enchirito has gone and come back before....so maybe it'll happen again.  I remembered scarfing these things down as a kid - there was one birthday where all I wanted was for me and my two friends to go to Taco Bell and then the comic shop.  I remember eating THREE of these things.  Sure, back then the tortilla was a little different (corn instead of flour?), and it had olives on it, but they've always been super tasty.

Then Taco Bell got rid of it.  Years later, they brought it back.  Maybe we'll get it back again?  Fingers crossed!

With great power comes great responsibility, Taco Bell.  You screwed up big time.

6 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

that looks dee-lish! bet you could make it at home!

Joya said...

Actually, it was always a flour tortilla (hence, the "'rito" at the end...) I've been eating them since the late 60's, back when Taco Bell had a fire pit (with actual flames, yes) out front of their locations. :D Gonna go try to make a home version right now.

Jeph said...

Hi Joya! I was uncertain about the corn tortilla part early on, but saw mention of it in some other site I'd come across.

Do you remember the Taco Lite? I think that's what it was called...a fried flour tortilla taco shell? MMMM - I LOVED that one!

Anonymous said...

The new smothered burritos are ridiculous! I do not want a bunch of filler rice and red sauce....I asked my local taco bell if they could make an enchirito and they refused because it was 'discontinued'...Im pretty sure they still have all the things on hand to make it so why turn someone down? RIP.

Anonymous said...

Back in the 70's when I started eating Taco Bell, (remember the Bell Beefer?), the Enchirito was indeed made with a soft corn tortilla and had black olives on top (at least in Oregon where I lived). Unfortunately, the restaurant's pronunciation guide had it pronounced "Ench - ree - to." It was the first "premium" menu item - in addition to the aforementioned Bellbeefer, you could have a Tostada, a Taco, or a burrito, either beef, bean, or a combo, and that was the whole menu. The suffix "ito" referes to the diminuitive and has no relevance to the type of tortilla.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone remember the triple cheese melt??OMG! My absolute favorite. Wish that one would come back...